Author Topic: Homes for Unmarried Mothers - Whitley Bay  (Read 4086 times)

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad : 1917-2008 xxx
    • View Profile
Homes for Unmarried Mothers - Whitley Bay
« on: Friday 17 March 06 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone know if there was a home for unmarried mothers in Whitley Bay?   The year I'm looking at is 1943.

Thanks
Sharon
ANDERSON - Galashiels, Coldstream
EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline fairyfeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Homes for Unmarried Mothers - Whitley Bay
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

There was a large Northumberland Village Homes site in Whitley Bay between Percy Avenue and Souter Park.

I lived in Percy Avenue from 1948-50 and we were not allowed to speak to the girls who lived in the various houses.  It was known as a place where the 'bad girls' went.  I presume they meant unmarried mothers, but at that time being a child I had no idea about such things.
Marion

Offline fairyfeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

There was a large Northumberland Village Homes site in Whitley Bay between Percy Avenue and Souter Park.

I lived in Percy Avenue from 1948-50 and we were not allowed to speak to the girls who lived in the various houses.  It was known as a place where the 'bad girls' went.  I presume they meant unmarried mothers, but at that time being a child I had no idea about such things.  The site was there for many years, though it is now down and I think new housing has been built.
Marion

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad : 1917-2008 xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Marion

Thanks for this, very interesting.  I'll look more into it.  We are still not sure if my relative was sent away to have the baby, but her baby was born in Whitley Bay and then then came back to Scotland (it may be something I'll never find out but you never know!).

Sharon
ANDERSON - Galashiels, Coldstream
EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline Gillian-Lesley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 May 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon:  Sorry I'm replying 11 years later!  I lived on Duchess Street in the 50's and 60's and the Northumberland Homes (the home for naughty girls as I was told it was called) was at the top of our street.  But what may be of interest to you is that the Tyne & Wear Archives have records, including admissions, for 1879 to 1983.

---Jillian

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 May 17 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

When I was growing up this place used to be feared amongst the local children because of the reputation it had as the 'naughty home!'.  Although, I used to peer through the gaps between the high wooden fence, when walking past, I never actually saw any children but later in the mid seventies I worked with one of the girls who was allowed out on work experience.  It seemed to be a very private place, very quiet with no one heard or seen in the grounds.  At least, never at the times when my family or I were passing by.

Many, many years ago, there was also a place called ' At Oswald's Home for Girls' in Cullercoats which is very near Whitley Bay. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 May 17 23:31 BST (UK) »
if you purchase the babies birth certificate it will have the address at which she was born on it I assume the baby was registered in his/her mothers name
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 May 17 20:31 BST (UK) »
Is this the same place? (Northumberland Homes, Whitley Bay.) If so it was used as an Approved School for girls from 1933.
http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/WhitleyIS/
I was once told that at one time in the early 20thC girls who were pregnant out of marriage were placed in mental hospitals and stayed there for most of their lives  :(
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 22:07 BST (UK) »
The idea that psychiatric institutions were full of unmarried girls who had become pregnant in the first half of the 20thC was one that was perpetuated largely order to justify the nationwide closure of these places.
In fact, if every unmarried pregnant young woman had been " put away", a good third of the female population would have been in the old asylums. Some of my ancestors included.
I think we can safely deduce that the poor unfortunate girls were suffering from mental illnesses which might well have lead to all kinds of consequences including pregnancy.