Author Topic: Mciver from Uig/Carloway  (Read 20091 times)

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mciver from Uig/Carloway
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 March 06 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Will see in all my info if I can find anything on Murdo Mciver. It is a name I can recall coming across lots of time. will get back to you if I find anything. Mariac

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 March 06 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,
 Dont know if this is the parents of Kate you are looking for
Murdo Mciver married Jane Mcdonald Gairloch 20th Jan 1859 and Catherine Mciver was born to a Murdo Mciver and Jane Mcdonald 30/3/1860 in Contin  R&C. Mariac

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 March 06 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Maria!

That's the ones!

I did a bit of Scotlandspeopling yesterday, but didn't get Kate's birth yet.

I DID find a will for Murdo (the father) - 11 pages & he was a hotellier!  Nearest any of my lot came to wealth!!

Thanks for your trouble - you can be an honorary cousin now (gee, thanks! says Maria  ;D )

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 March 06 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Maria!

That's the ones!

I did a bit of Scotlandspeopling yesterday, but didn't get Kate's birth yet.

I DID find a will for Murdo (the father) - 11 pages & he was a hotellier!  Nearest any of my lot came to wealth!!

Thanks for your trouble - you can be an honorary cousin now (gee, thanks! says Maria  ;D )

;)

Strange people kept hotels in those days Arranroots - even my rellies had one down in KKD ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,
Have you managed to find Kate yet? I did notice in my research a lot of Mcivers went to Canada. Quebec in particular. mariac (honorary cousin) ;D
How do I get the little smilies on the message????

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 11:42 GMT (UK) »

Have you managed to find Kate yet?

Hi again Maria  :D

I am sure that the Catherine you found is my Kate.  She later married John Kennedy CAMERON, a leading light in the Free Church of Scotland and a professor!  Apparently she was a "just so" sort of person, which fits with her occupation as governess prior to marriage.  She called her first daughter Murilla, which is a new one on me!!

Haven't heard from my Police chum yet (hope he hasn't run for the hills, LOL!) I hope we can help you to make some progress on your family.

There are threads on adding images to your profile, I think on the Beginner's Board.  You can find free images on the internet, but be careful what you download!  :o :D

Have fun!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi A, Dont think I'll venture into that area just yet. Pasting pictures etc. Your line is more into the Cameron side is it? Murilla is a name I have never heard of either. Oh well it take all types. Thanks again for all  your help.  Maria

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 March 06 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maria

sorry to say my first e-mail to my Police friend bounced (or something) but he is wonderful (hello Dave!) and sent this in reply to the second one:

Have checked my (complete) records for Inverness-shire - NO Macivers whatsoever.
Ross & Cromarty Constabulary - my records don't go back that far, although there were several MacIvers in the Force later, all from Uig area of Lewis.

Re the distinct possibility of him having been a bobby in Glasgow, you may well be in luck. GPHS (Glasgow police historical society) have their own website and will handle family history enquiries if emailed to:-

curator [at] policemuseum.org.uk

Their website is

http://policemuseum.org.uk/

Note: visit the 'links' page for more information re family history

I hope you find this information helpful.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 24 March 06 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots

Think you might have missed my posting yonks ago. I found him in Glasgow, Gorbals as a PC!

Gadget

Maria

I think it might be worth your spending £6 on Scotlands People. I believe that Donald did become a Police Constable. In 1891, I have possibly found him, living with his family (wife Mary) and children Donald, Ann and Finlay in 37 Belgrave Street,Glasgow. He had been there at least 3 years as his eldest child aged 3 was born there.
It states that he and Mary were born ?Breadelets, Ross-shire.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***