Author Topic: could someone look up nepolicehistory  (Read 1017 times)

Offline lindagene

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
could someone look up nepolicehistory
« on: Thursday 07 October 04 13:22 BST (UK) »

I posted a message asking if I was the only one having a problem accessing the 'nepolicehistory' site on the web, mine keeps on dropping out, and have discovered that it does seem to be a problem peculiar to me.
Would anyone mind having a look at this site for me, and seeing if they could find any mention of a  'Thomas Snowdon'  Police Constable, who fathered a child born in 1864, but who was dead by that childs marriage in 1885.  The birth place of the child was Northumberland, I cannot be more specific than that, he says that he was born in Scotswood, but the only mention of a Robert Snowdon born Northumbria in 1864 is Morpeth Workhouse.  The child marries in Durham  and from then on can be found on both the 1891 and the 1901 census records, 1891 giving his birthplace as Scotswood, Northumberland, 1901 giving his birthplace as Stockton, Durham.  There is no mention of him in the 1871 or 1881 census records that I have been able to check, and was hoping that finding his father would give me a lead.
Snowdon, Collinson,  Durham, Northumberland,Yorkshire
Payne, Essex    Baker  Norfolk/Essex/Australia
Davies  Staffordshire, Shropshire

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: could someone look up nepolicehistory
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 October 04 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, used the search facility on the site: http://www.nepolicehistory.homestead.com/

The results:
"Sorry, there are no matches for Thomas Snowdon on this site".

"Sorry, there are no matches for Snowdon on this site"

"Sorry, there are no matches for Robert Snowdon on this site"

Offline lindagene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 October 04 15:22 BST (UK) »
Ah well, I guess that I sorta knew he was a figment of somebodys imagination,

Thanks for trying

Lindy

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 October 04 17:35 BST (UK) »
Much of their information is not online although they appear to have a form to request a search of their members files the direct link to their online search request is at

http://www.nepolicehistory.homestead.com/enquiryform.html

the conditions under which they will undertake such a search are

Berwick-upon-Tweed Borough
Durham City
Durham County
Hartlepool Borough
Gateshead Borough
Middlesbrough Borough
Newcastle City
North Eastern Railway (Later London & North Eastern Railway)
Northumberland County
River Tees
River Tweed
River Tyne
River Wear
South Shields Borough
Sunderland Borough
Tyne Improvement Commissioners Docks & Piers
Tynemouth Borough

2) During the course of private research, a number of members have collated information on the service records of police officers who once served in certain of the above forces. In addition, a wide range of personnel / service records are held by local archives / records departments and can be accessed by NEPHS members as well as the general public.

3) The NEPHS is prepared to conduct research from material in possession of its members and MAY be able to undertake research at local archives / record offices.

4) NEPHS will NOT carry out research on serving police officers and unless there are EXCEPTIONAL circumstances will not do so in respect of LIVING former police officers.

5) Whilst it is accepted that most enquiries will be of a family history nature, it is emphasised that other enquiries relating to local police history are most welcome.

6) A successful result cannot always be guaranteed but, at the very least, we aim to be able to point enquirers in a direction where they may be able to obtain information for themselves.

7) The NEPHS reserves the right to use its discretion in deciding whether or not to undertake any enquiry.

8) NEPHS may use its discretion to charge an administrative fee (minimum - £5 / maximum £10) for any enquiry submitted to cover expenses incurred  in connection with undertaking such enquiries. Enquirers are reminded not to submit enquiries should they not be prepared to incur such a fee. *** UPDATED 15th September, 2004 ***

Offline lindagene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 October 04 19:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bob,
I have managed to get that site to stay up, and have dropped them a line.
Appreciate it.

Lindy