Author Topic: Maitland, around Blandford Forum  (Read 2084 times)

Offline EmmaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Maitland, around Blandford Forum
« on: Friday 24 March 06 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I've made a couple of posts before re. this family, and have made quite a lot of progress since then. However, I now seem to have hit the dreaded brick wall !

The earliest ancestor I have is James Maitland who was married to Letitia Baker in Blandford Forum in 1792. There is no trace of his birth in the town, although according to his burial record (1823 unfortunately so no census records, no will) he was born about 1769.

All the Maitlands listed in the census for Dorset 1841 - 1861 are directly related to this man through his 9 children: Charles, Elizabeth, Jonathon, James, Ann, William, Charlotte, Andrew and David.  After 1861 they scattered to Poole, Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight.

There is a record of a Thomas Peter Maitland being baptised in Durweston (2 miles north of Blandford) in 1772. His father was John or, more likely, Jonathon Maitland; the mother is listed simply as “and his wife“.Other Durweston records for this period are unfortunately largely illegible. This is tempting as James named his second son Jonathon.

I have also found a record of a Jane Maitland baptised in Bryanstone (just to the east of Blandford) on 27 March 1776 whose parents were listed as Thomas and Elizabeth Maitland.

Does anyone recognise these names, or have any suggestions as to where I could go from here ?

Thanks

Emma Maitland
Manchester

Offline LVMaitland

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maitland, around Blandford Forum
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 July 16 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hello I'm Laura Maitland most Maitlands in Dorset are related to me my great Grandfather was called James Alexander Maitland he had a sister called Elizabeth who used her fortune to train as a nurse. The name James was passed down farther to son for many generations. My great grandfather came from Aberdeen area his brothers and his sister moved one went to USA all Maitlands are related and all desend from a Scotland King William the Lion of Scotland I love history. Let me know if I can help this was an old feed so maybe you have answers now.