Author Topic: Cause of death ?  (Read 861 times)

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Cause of death ?
« on: Thursday 07 October 04 19:36 BST (UK) »
I have just received a copy of a death certificate from 1840, for a baby boy who died aged 20 weeks.  The cause of death is left completely blank.  Why do you think this is ?
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline lindagene

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of death ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 October 04 19:39 BST (UK) »
Could this be what in todays terms is called a cot death,   in other words they could find no cause.
Cot deaths cannot be a new event.   
Makes you feel so sorry for them,  and no 'trauma councilors' in those days.
Lindy
Snowdon, Collinson,  Durham, Northumberland,Yorkshire
Payne, Essex    Baker  Norfolk/Essex/Australia
Davies  Staffordshire, Shropshire

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 October 04 19:53 BST (UK) »
I think you are right, but I thought they might have put something - such as .....cause unknown....or natural causes or something ...... didn't the death have to be certified by a doctor to be registered ?
~~~~~~~~

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Offline Pollynation

• RootsChat Senior
  • The picture that started it all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 October 04 20:04 BST (UK) »
On my baby's death certificate it says:-

"sudden infant death syndrome" Known as cot death.
This wasn't recent, 1990.

Normally something else was listed such as gastro enteritis ( think i spelled that right). Maybe they thought it suspisious and did a post mortem and found nothing, so left it blank.

Pauline
Atkinson/Mountney/Gardner/Mellor/Finch/Higham-Lancashire
Cooper/Price-Shropshire
Lund/Foster/Wilkinson/Crawforth-Yorkshire
Calvert-Durham

Whoever said seek and ye shall find was NOT a genealogist.

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 October 04 22:12 BST (UK) »
I just received the death certificate for my 2nd great grandmother - cause of death not known - not certified.

I was amzed that my great grandmother, who registered the death, could just say - "My mother has died and I don't know why" and that was acceptable.

It must have been a fairy commom practice by the poor who couldn't afford a doctor. It seems amazing to us now!

Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 October 04 12:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear of you baby's death  (Polly') - it must always be devastating no matter when it occurred.

Maybe I have a suspicious mind or just unfair and looking for stories that are not really there - but the father who registered this death was Joshua Varley, who spent some time in York Lunatic Asylum (after his wife's death) - and then when he was released (cured ?) - murdered his housekeeper, tried to commit suicide by drowning himself and spent the rest of his life in Broadmoor !

I am waiting for his wife's death certificate to find out how she died !
~~~~~~~~