Author Topic: Cantle family - Bitton  (Read 6164 times)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cantle family - Bitton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Cantle Ancestors great to be in contact with others who share the same name. I am still searching for the late John Cantle baptised at Hanham Glos, on the 20th November 1768 he had 3 sisters Hannah bap.1771.Hester bap.1773 Susanna bap 1777. John Cantle married a Dinah Hall on the 1/2/1768 at the parish of St. Anne Syston. At this stage I have found that Dinah Hall father was a John Hall from Hanham Mills she was bap. on the 30/12/1738 she had a sister called Ann bap. on the 10/10/1736 and brother name unknown bap.30/6/1734 at Hanham. John Cantle's parents were named James Cantle wife Ann, also he had a brother called James Cantle and wife Ann.  Occupation a Wire Drawer freeman Bristol. Most of my Cantle ancestors lived in Bitton, Keynsham, Hanham and were connected to the Baptist Church in this area. It would be great to find the connection with someone else, Iam not tired of looking at this stage.  :D

Regards,
Janet   ???

Offline skeletonkeys

• RootsChat Member
  • I've become nuts on genealogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

I must admit the last year or so Ive put my family tree research on the back burner and it will take me a while to refamiliarise myself with my records. Not least putting my latest version of my family tree software on my new laptop! but I do have a version on GenesReunited and ancestry.,com and you are very welcome to browse the info.  I'm very keen to see where my Cantle family join with others from Bitton and Keynsham, Hanham and Bristol.

My particular interest is Joseph Cantle B: 17 SEP 1815 in St Ann's Oldland  D: AFT 1851 in Maesteg . My understanding is that his father was  William Cantle Birth BET 1779 AND 1783 in Glous. Death BET 1817 AND 1834 who married Lucy Britton on 05 JUN 1803 at St Mary's Bitton.

I'd be delighted if youve come across William and Lucy in your research but in any event it maybe useful to share info incase it helps us springboard onto more helpful data in future.  Pm me if you want to take things further.

Regards

Helen
Walford - York, London,Stratford St Mary, Great Wilbraham
Cantle - Maesteg, Bitton, Keynsham
Hawker - Bradford Peverel, Mosterton,Thorncombe
Phillips & Rees - Pembrokeshire
Davies - Glamorganshire
Jones - Cwmavon
Hind & Lowe - Whitwell, Derbyshire
Sanderson - York
Leitch - Pittessie, Collessie,
McWilliam - Port Glasgow
Beck - Dumfries, Port Glasgow
Birkett - Collessie, Abdie

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 May 11 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Devoted, great to receive your reply, somehow and I hope that we are connected. Dinah Cantle (Hall) who married John Cantle in 1768 appears in the St. Mary, Bitton Glos. Burial Register but he doesn't. My John Cantle Jnr. married a Ann Maynard Pearce in 1790 at the St. John Baptist Bedminster Somerset and one of their children happened to be called William Cantle he married a Mary A. Taylor in Southwark Christchurch and they both travelled here to Australia in 1836 and settled in Kiama N.S.W. Keep in touch. ;)

Janet ???

Offline Avance0306

• RootsChat Extra
  • History Teaches About Our Past, Present, & Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
It was a pleasant surprise to see others researching  Cantle.

My grandfathers name was Edward Sydney Cantle born in Charlton in 1919.
His mother was Mary Ethel Lamoon. His father.. well, he always called himself a bastard but he has the Cantle name.. Mary wasn't married (that I can find)  and he had 5-6 siblings..
I don't know if those mentioned here are related or not but I've  had a devil of a time sorting his side out.

I'm on the road right now but I'll come back to add some details.

Sara
Feder, Avance, Cantle, Wilson, Whitehead, Morton, Lamoon, Allen - American, English, Scottish, Irish and German.