Author Topic: Stuck in Glamorgan  (Read 7786 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Stuck in Glamorgan
« on: Wednesday 13 October 04 13:42 BST (UK) »
To give the rest of my dead uns a break, I thought I'd tackle one of my reinforced concrete walls, my paternal grandmothers parents. I'll start with her father:
John Williams, Coal miner, born, lived, died in Cwmbach, now part of Aberdare. Known as Jack Ty Post.

I know his birthday (18th October), but not his birth year. He was supposed to have fought in the Boer War (Regiment: Black Watch) and WWI (regiment unknown). Regiment and Kew have no records for this time.
I believe he was born in Cwmbach, but no confirmation.
His address, where my grandmother and her brothers and sisters were born and brought up: 9 Big Row, Cwmbach. It is no longer there, but I have a photo of the street.
John, his wife and one of their children are buried in the cemetery in Aberdare. Dates ?, location ?

I have checked the trade directories and according to Worrall's Directory 1875, the Cwmbach Post Office was in Providence Place and John B. Davies was the Postmaster. This was the only address I came upon in my search. Slater's Directory 1880 had the same postmaster listed. Kelly's directories for 1895 and 1906 listed the person in charge of Cwmbach Post Office as Mrs Jane Jones.
Kelly's Directory for 1920 listed Miss Dianna Jones, but he will have been living in Big Row by then anyway. There was no trace of John Williams or Jack Ty Post. The only Williams I could find, was Susanna Williams in charge of the Hirwaun Post Office, mentioned in Scammell's Directory 1852, but this may be irrelevant to your search. I have further tried seaching the 1901 census for Providence Place 1-15 and Big Row 1-18 for John Williams but there was no trace.

Not knowing any concrete facts, the 1881 census will not provide satisfactory results.

John Williams is listed at 9 Big Row in the 1915 electoral register
John Williams and Mary Jane Williams are listed at 9 Big Row in the 1919
electoral register, which brings me to my next problem. My grandmothers mother was called Emily, not Mary Jane. My father remembers going to her funeral, which dates it as post 1941.

Lots of snippets, but nothing concrete. Any Glamorgan experts out there got any suggestions?

Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in Glamorgan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 13:59 BST (UK) »
What a pickle! Wel! Does dim ots!, dyfal donc y dyr yr garreg

I found this, which may not be any use to you, but as it was found thought I would let you know of it:

Glamorgan Family History Society 1861 Census CD

4069 1861 CENSUS OF LLWYDCOED HAMLET (PART). REF.R.G.9/4069, E.D.29.                                                                 

Piece: 4069      Folio: 050     Schedule: 104

Address: BIG ROW               

WILLIAMS JOHN              HD M  21   ROLLER                   
                                      GLA ABERDARE                     (c1840)
WILLIAMS MARY W.           WI M  21   -                         
                                      GLA ABERDARE                     (c1840)
WILLIAMS ANN               ML W  47?  -                         
                                      GLA PENMARK                      (c1814)
HOWELLS JABEZ              LG U  36   LABOURER                 
                                      GLA NEATH                        (c1825)
LEWIS MORGAN               LG -  30   PUDDLER                   
                                      GLA NEATH                        (c1831)

I will keep my eyes peeled for you  :o

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 14:06 BST (UK) »
Duh! Sorry, I should have mentioned that my grandmother was born in 1913 as the second child. She thought her parents would have married about 1909/1910.  That, and the fact he was in the Boer war would point to his year of birth being about 1880 ish.

Diolch am chwilio Jen.
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 14:46 BST (UK) »
Very unusual for a Welshman to serve in the Black Watch as a volunteer i.e the Boer War contingent was not a conscripted force. There were several Welsh regiments involved. I am just trying to imagine him travelling to the Black Watch depot or to Edinburgh at least to enlist. I would certainly check that one out D ap D.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple.

Thats really my major problem, confirming facts. All I've got to go on is what my then 89 year old grandmother told me. I've written to the Black Watch, as I found it hard to belive, but apparently it wasn't all that seldom. Unfortunately all their records were destroyed in WWII, so no help there. Perhaps he just wanted to wear a kilt, who knows.... However, its not the sort of thing you just make up, so there must be some inkling of truth in it somewhere. Perhaps she just got confused and he volunteered for the Black Watch in WWI. She would only have been 4 at the time, so would really have known anyway.

Mind, I think anything would be better than working in the pits. Wouldn't give you a thank you for it myself.
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple.

Unfortunately all their records were destroyed in WWII, so no help there.

I don't know if that came from the Black Watch or not but it does seem to happen that some records are said to have been destroyed when in fact they have not. This link is for WW1 really http://www.btinternet.com/~prosearch/tomspage30.html
I had this guy find my grandfather's stuff from WW1 and he was pricey but I feel sure I now have copies of every bit of paper. It might be worthwhile sending a query to him and see if he replies "Un-do-able,all records destroyed". Never trust a no!
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 October 04 08:33 BST (UK) »
Gardener, that was the reply I had from Kew and the Black Watch.

I had a browse on that link you posted - very interesting. Would I not need my ggfs service number though before a search is started? Lokking for a John Williams would be a bit daunting, especially as I don't know his exact year of birth...

I think John will have to wait a bit longer until I can confirm his DoB.

Thanks again

D.
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
Have you thought about local history publications? You never know his nickname of Jack Ty Post may be noted somewhere! I assume you have tried the trade directories for the area?

Cofion Gorau
Jen  :)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 14:23 GMT (UK) »
S'mae Jen,

To tell the truth I'd not given local history publications a thought. With John being a coal miner, I can't imagine there being a reference to him. But you never know. It will be worth a try anyway.
Any suggestions? I don't even know which it he worked in, and there are LOADS in Cwmbach. My knowledge of S. Wales is limited to the area around the Arms Park.  ;D
I've exhausted the Trades Directories, and even checked the electoral register, but no joy as yet. Aberdare council were very helpful , but couldn't help without more concrete information. John Williams was not exactly a seldom name then.

Mum and Dad were planning on making a detour to Cwmbach on the way to the rugby on Saturday, but decided not to go after all. So John will have to stay on a back burner for a while. :'(

Hwyl

Dewi
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio