Author Topic: Watkins of Llanelly, Breconshire  (Read 8997 times)

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Watkins of Llanelly, Breconshire
« on: Wednesday 19 April 06 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hello all, anyone researching this family? They also moved about a bit in Monmouthshire.

Regards
Kate.
Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Dublin - BRADY, GREEN, NEILL & ST LEGER
Kerry - CRIMEEN, CROWLY & DONOGHUE
Longford - FLYNN, WHELAN & DAVIS
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Wicklow - CLARE, COLEY, CRIMEEN, CUNNIAM, DOYLE, FLYNN, MURPHY, O'BYRNE & SUTTON
Devon, Som, Glam & Mon - BISSETT
Gloucs, Glam & Mon - ROBERTS
Here, Brec & Mon - WATKINS
Mon - ISRAEL, LEWIS, MATTHEWS, MORGAN & PROBERT
Salop & Mon - EVANS
Census info is crown copyright www.nationalarchives.co

Offline mldy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watkins of Llanelly, Breconshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 October 11 04:31 BST (UK) »
Kate,

I realize this reply comes quite late, but I just joined Roots Chat recently.  I am also researching a family of Watkins in Llanelly, Breconshire.  My 4x great grandfather was Thomas Watkins and his wife's name was Christiana.  Their son William was my 3x great grandfather, and he was born about 1834.  Some of the family emigrated to the USA.  They lived in Llanelly for a while at least, but also may have lived in Monmouthshire it seems.  Would they be any relation to your Watkins family?

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 October 11 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi mldy, thanks for replying to the post. What year was your Thomas born around?
My Watkins were originally from Bishops Frome in Herefordshire before moving to Llanelly in c1813-1816. Some of my Watkins also emigrated to the USA, to Pennsylvania, although these were not my direct line. Mine moved just over the border to Blaenavon, Monmouthshire to work in the pits.

Regards
Katy
Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Wicklow - CLARE, COLEY, CRIMEEN, CUNNIAM, DOYLE, FLYNN, MURPHY, O'BYRNE & SUTTON
Salop & Mon - EVANS

Offline mldy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 October 11 20:10 BST (UK) »
Katy,

I believe my Thomas Watkins was born about 1803-1806 (believed to be the son of Walter & Ann Watkins), probably in Talgarth or Ystradgynlais.  In the 1841 census, Thomas and Christiana Watkins are living in Llangattock, Breconshire.  In 1851 and 1861, they are living in Llanelly, Breconshire.  They emigrated to America in 1864 (Pennsylvania and then onto Utah).  Some of their children also emigrated at separate times.  I don't know that we are related to the same family, but sometimes it can be hard to tell.  I do know there was another family of Watkins - the Thomas and Mary Watkins family - who were also in Llanelly in 1841.  However, I believe Christiana was from Llanbedr and it seems that several of their children were born there prior to them coming to Llanelly.  There is still a lot I don't know about them, but they had 7 children - Mary, Margaret, William, Christiana, Thomas, Anthony, and Ann.  I don't know if any of that information is similar to your family, but it's always worth a try.

Megan

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 11 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Megan, unfortunately I don't recognise those names - what a shame! Always nice to find a link!
I do have a Thomas born 1804 in my tree but as I say he was born in Bishops Frome and the family moved to Llanelly when he was around 10 years of age. His parents were Nicholas and Betty.
I have a few other Watkins branches in my tree but they were from Monmouthshire.
Wishing you all the best with your research!

Kind Regards
Katy
Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Salop & Mon - EVANS

Offline charwatkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 February 12 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

Just joined the board and trying to figure out how to begin. My husband (I through marriage) is a Watkins. I apologize if I am in the wrong place. If you could assist and direct me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!

My husband (Arthur Watkins) great-grandfather was Thomas Watkins, son of John Watkins (1828 – 1883) and Elizabeth Sykes. John was born in Llantillo Crossney and went from there to Llanbedr, Brecon.  In 1861, he is living next door to father-in-law, Henry Sykes, who is a farmer of 150 acres. John is an "AG LAB", so undoubtedly works his living for his father-in-law.

From there, he went to Llangenny and Crickhowell. John & Elizabeth had
Alfred Watkins 1857, Henry Watkins 1859, John Watkins 1860, James Watkins 1862, Thomas H Watkins 1864 – 1927 (Our line), Arthur Watkins 1867, William Watkins 1869 , Edwin (believed to be Edwin Matthew) Watkins 1872, Charles Watkins 1877, and Mary Elizabeth Watkins 1879.

I noticed the mention of a Watkins branch who went to NY. That could be our Thomas "Tom" Watkins, who settled in Cattaraugus County, NY.  My father-in-law, Arthur Watkins was born in Ellicotville, NY.

We believe John's father was John Watkins. Although we have been able to gather quite a bit of information, we seem to be at a stand still. As with many who are searching for their roots.... our dream is to get more information and possibly find other Watkins "relatives" ... and make a visit to Wales. We live in Ohio.

I have attached a family photo of our Tom Watkins - immigrant to US - with his wife & children. Interestingly enough, his wife, Mary Ann Bates Watkins was born in England. She & Tom met and married in NY. Their eldest son Edward "Ed" Ralph Watkins is/was my husband's grandfather.
Watkins:
Llanbeder, Brecon - Llantillo Crosseney, Monmouth
Bates: Longney, Glouc
Brain: Little Dean, Glouc
Sykes: Herforshire - Llanbedr, Brecon