Author Topic: 1841 & 1851 census look-up Attleborough Norfolk Please!!  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Children

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1841 & 1851 census look-up Attleborough Norfolk Please!!
« on: Saturday 22 April 06 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Friends,

I haven't a lot of information but could someone try and find me "Mary Ann Catchpole" who was born c1835 in Attleborough Norfolk.

She married Samuel Pease in 1858 and on the 1881 census it stated that they had her uncle living with them. His surname was "Rayner". So maybe her mothers surname was Rayner.

I will look forward to any replies.

Kind Regards

children

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 & 1851 census look-up Attleborough Norfolk Please!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 April 06 21:15 BST (UK) »
There was a Mary Ann Catchpole living in Attleborough in 1851 aged 17.  She was living with her Aunt & Uncle, John & Mary Catchpole aged 69 & 63 as well as their lodger, Robert Etheridge aged 26.

She was born in Hingham though.

There were no Catchpoles in Attleborough apart from those three.

What was uncle Rayner's Christian name and age in 1881?

You say that her mother could have been a Rayner, her mother could have been a Catchpole before she married!

Have you looked at the Attleborough registers?

Teddy
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 April 06 21:26 BST (UK) »
I have just checked the Norfolk marriages and found a n Edward Catchpole and Sarah Rayner married in Thetford in 1833

Teddy
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline Children

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 April 06 06:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Teddy,

thankyou very much for the information that you have sent me.

Uncle Rayner's Christian name was "Robert" and he was 76 years old in 1881 and his occupation was a Shepherd. Apparently he was born in Risby.

The Mary Ann Catchpole that you found born in Hingham fits in beautifully, so I believe that she is the correct one. I went by the 1881 census to get the place to where she was born and it said that she was born in Attleborough, but I should of realized that you cannot always go by the 1881 census for accuracy.

Oh, and thankyou again for looking up the marriage for Edward Catchpole and Sarah Rayner in 1833. It looks like that they are the parents of Mary Ann Catchpole.

I live in Tasmania and it isn't easy trying to get information for Family History so thanks for what you have done for me.

Kind Regards

Wendy

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 April 06 16:18 BST (UK) »
In 1851 index there was a Henry Rayner aged 47, a shepherd, born in Risby, living in
Saham Toney near Watton.

This will all need substatiating with other records as well as checking with the originals as I have only consulted indexes.

Best of luck.
Teddy