Author Topic: GERMANY: My Prussian/German surname interests NSW 1800s & beyond  (Read 10175 times)

Offline allycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The Cantwell Knights of Strongbow 1170
    • View Profile
GERMANY: My Prussian/German surname interests NSW 1800s & beyond
« on: Wednesday 26 April 06 10:00 BST (UK) »
ANCESTRAL SURNAMES: Bragier, Flanze, Most, Orth, Seigner, Voss, Weber

OTHER SURNAMES: Broser, Cranz, Curtze, Guthiel, Hastenpflug, Hoffmeyer, Kurtz, Liebermann, Lowerman, Rohleder, Schia, Wagner, Weidemann, Wiegand

Dear fellow Rootschatters, Hi.  As there doesn't appear to be a section for emigrants from places other than UK and Eire, I thought I'd place my post here.

The 'MOST' Family

Henry MOST born 1824 Hesse Germany landed in Colony of NSW 1848, occ. Farmer, died 1898 'Rose Cottage' Inverell, NSW.  Naturalised 1873.  Married in Brisbane 1866 to Henrietta Schia aka Bragier born 1837 Germany, died 1884 Ashford Inverell NSW.  Children: 1.Anna b 1867 Wellingrove, 2.Louisa b 1869 Myall Ck near Ashford & 3.John aka Jack MOST b 1874 Inverell.

1.Anna MOST married Ernest Giddens and had 4 children, Lavinia, Henry, Charles & Eva Giddens.

2.Louisa MOST (my ancestor) married in 1890 at Inverell to Arthur Ernest Rhodes MERRY born 1856 Steeple Claydon, Buck., England (of the Roads Family of Buckinghamshire ... see RootsChat posting in Buckinghamshire board for ancestry to C1480).  They had 8 children, Leonard 1890, Florence 1892, Thomas 1894, Wilfred 1895, Elsie (my ancestor) 1897, Lydia 1900, Sophia 1902 and Beatrice 1904.

3.John MOST married in 1906 at Inverell to Una Bell BEARD born 1887 Warialda, and had 1 daughter, Maude Most born 1907.

The 'VOSS / FLANZE' Family

Frederick Joseph Herman VOSS born 1830 the Grand Duchy of Mecklenberg-Schwerin, Germany.  N.B. Fred Voss' father -name unknown- was a farmer who hired himself out as a mercenary soldier under Napoleon.  In 1812 he went with Napoleon's "Grand Armee" to Russia, on the infamous march to Moscow.  [Source:  Obit of F.Voss 'Inverell Times' June 26, 1936] Fred Voss married in 1859 Alshue Germany to Johanna Doratea FLANZE born 1834 Germany.  Her parent's names not known.

Shortly after arrival in C1855 via ship "Daniel Ross" ex Hamburg, family was obliged by the Australian Govt of the time to undergo naturalisation, and to anglicise their German names.  Family made their way up from Port of Sydney in colony of NSW to vicinity of Moree, Gunnedah and Narrabri.  First the family lived on 'Gurley Station' where Frederick worked as a shepherd and farmer.  Later the family moved up to the Glen Innes area.

Fred & Dorothy VOSS had 6 children, 1.Otte Nickelark Marks, a twin to sister, 2.Dor - both born Germany, 3.Frederick b 1856 Gurley (my ancestor), 4. Hammon Henry b1862 Weewaa a twin of 5.Anna Dorothea, and 6.Emma Christina b1862 Wellingrove.

Their first child also known as Nicholas Otto Marcus VOSS married in 1881 at Glen Innes to Susan PAGE, daughter of William & Ellen PAGE.  They had 10 known children - 1.Otto, 2.Mary, 3.Ellen, 4.Ada, 5.Frederick, 6.John, 7.Mabel, 8.Henry, 9.Emily and 10.Richard VOSS.

Second child - we think that Dor Voss died young ... verification required.

Third child, Fred VOSS (my ancestor) married in 1883 at Glen Innes to Mary WEBBER b 1863 Bundaberg, Qld.  She was the daughter of Johannes Heinrich WEBER b 1829 Dickschied Prussia d 1902 Lambs Valley NSW, and Elizabeth ORTH b 1835 Roppershain Hesse Prussia, d 1914 Lambs Valley NSW.

Note: The Weber/Webber family also arrived in Australia via the same ship as the Voss family - the Daniel Ross the voyage taking 129 days.

Fred & Mary Voss had 6 children - 1.John William 1884, 2.Frederick Henry 1887, 3.Henry Frederick 1888 (my ancestor), 4.Ernest Francis 1890, 5.Caspar Orth 1896 and 6.Blanche Wilhelmina Nita VOSS 1906.

N.B. I have the ORTH ancestry going back to the 1580.  Sub-names include: Guthiel, Weiderman, Hastenpflug, Seigner, Hoffmeyer, Cranz, Lowerman, Curtze, Lieberman, Kurtz and Rohleder.

Fourth child, Hammon Henry De Voss married Maude BEDDY in 1904 Sydney.

Fifth child, Anna Dorothea Voss married 1878 Wellingrove to Edward Augustus PIETSCH and had 3 children, Emily 1881, Henry 1883 and Edward 1888 NSW.

Their lastborn Emma Christina Voss married 1883 Glen Innes to Joseph COLE and had 9 known children - Joseph, William, Ernest, Arnold, Darice, Norman, Agnus, Amy and Herman COLE all born Inverell NSW.

If there are any connections out there, please don't hesitate to write to me.  I also have my tree on http://www.GenesReunited.com.au.  Thank you for your time in reading this article.  Allycat, Queensland, Australia.
Abrams, Amor, Attwood, Bancroft, Bragier, Brennan, Bryant, Buchan, Cantwell, Cruse, Commins, Cullum, Debus, Denner, Dinner, DuCroix, Flanze, Gilkes, Greaves, Guthiel, Hansford, Hayes, Hokaanga, Homewood, Hoy, Inns, Jahn, King, Knee, Marriner, May, McCarron, McCavel, McCrohon, McFarlane, Merry, Milne, Montgomery, Most, Mott, Orth, Parker, Pine, Roads, Rueping, Sear, Siegner, Stanaway, Voss, Weber, Wheeler, Whitehall, Woodcock

Offline Megsy1955

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GERMANY: My Prussian/German surname interests NSW 1800s & beyond
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 May 12 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Allycat.
While searching for info on the Germany Family at Inverell found your post a while ago with the mention of the Cole family who lived Inverell. (I have cemetery books for burials in Inverell)
found the following that seem to be the names you mentioned - Especially Joseph & Emma Christina Coles (nee Voss).

Catherine Cole (Died 20/12/1906 aged 3 mths)
Emma Christina Coles (nee Voss) died 10/2/1959 aged 93 yrs - lived 'Woodville' Nullamanna.
Joseph Coles (B.1856 - died 23/9/1919 aged 63 yrs (Farmer)
H H (Ben) Cole (Died 4/8/1921 aged 21 yrs) lived Nullamanna - Farmer (note says son of Joseph Cole)
Henry Walter Cole (Died 20/1/1906 aged 4 mths)
another male Cole (Died 3/10/1904 aged 1 day old)
Norman Henry Cole (Died 22/4/1956 aged 62 yrs - lived Nullamanna
William Cole (Died 27/7/1954 aged 57 yrs) lived Bonshaw
William Cole (Died 7/5/1905 aged 35 yrs)
Edith Adella Cole (Died 29/8/1974 aged 77 yrs – lived 8 Warialda Rd, Inverell)

Also:

Casper Orth VOSS (Died 23/4/1980 aged 84 yrs) of McLean Retirement Village (Born 7/2/1896)
Elsie Louisa Rhodes VOSS (Died 21/2/1979 aged 81 yrs of 9 Andrew St, Inverell (Note: Remembered by Doreen, Ralph, Yvonne & Johney)
Henry Frederick VOSS (Died 8/4/1984 aged 95 yrs of 9 Andrews St, Inverell)
Peter Neil VOSS (Died 19/5/1976 aged 13 yrs8mth of 34 Warialda Road, Inverell)
Frederick VOSS (Died 23/6/1936 aged 80 yrs – (buried next to William John Voss)
William John VOSS (Died by 1925)   (that is all it says)

Hope this is of help to you.   Megsy

Offline allycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The Cantwell Knights of Strongbow 1170
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 May 12 07:48 BST (UK) »
Dear Megsy, Thank you so much.  Awesome to have a reply six years later.  Must get into the 'tree' again.  Appreciate the effort!  Alison.
Abrams, Amor, Attwood, Bancroft, Bragier, Brennan, Bryant, Buchan, Cantwell, Cruse, Commins, Cullum, Debus, Denner, Dinner, DuCroix, Flanze, Gilkes, Greaves, Guthiel, Hansford, Hayes, Hokaanga, Homewood, Hoy, Inns, Jahn, King, Knee, Marriner, May, McCarron, McCavel, McCrohon, McFarlane, Merry, Milne, Montgomery, Most, Mott, Orth, Parker, Pine, Roads, Rueping, Sear, Siegner, Stanaway, Voss, Weber, Wheeler, Whitehall, Woodcock

Offline KableWalker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 13 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Peeps
I just found some German emigrant connections to my Scots Stevenson relatives around Tamworth/Armidale/Bingara: the Weidermans [I guess that used to be Weidemann]. I found them all in the NSW BMD- several generations starting in the early 1800s & going through to my uncle John Norman STEVENSON (b 1903) whose mother was Hellen/Ellen Weiderman born 1859. It was weird to discover the Weidermans in the family tree as when I was at uni in Armidale in the early 1970s the girl next door was engaged to a David Weiderman! I guess I can look them up under Marriages! The Weiderman family probably came to Australia on the same ship as the Voss' and others mentioned in this thread because they all seemed to end up in the same area of NSW. Happy hunting!