Author Topic: Assistance Required  (Read 3738 times)

Offline Les Darley

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Living in Australia and finding research hard to d
    • View Profile
Assistance Required
« on: Thursday 05 February 04 05:21 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out the date of my Grandfather, John Morritt DARLEY's death.  I have a copy of his obituary that tells me that he was 74 which puts the date of his death between the 8th of October 1955 and the 7th of October 1956, and that he died on a Sunday and was buried on the following Tuesday.  He is buried in Howden Minster and although I sent an email to the Minster last year I have not been blessed with any sort of reply.  If there is some kind soul who lives in the Howden area who could find this date for me I would be eternally grateful.

Les in Oz
Names:  Darley, Wheeler, Heseltine, Hagger, Morritt, Bedford, Bodman, Naylor.

Areas:  Huttons Ambo, Rillington, Pickering, Howden, Ripon, Farnham, Gillingham (Kent), Barnet.

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Re: Assistance Required
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 August 04 11:54 BST (UK) »
Goodmorning Les!

I have found some info on John Darley.
Death recorded July/August/Sept/ quarter 1956 at Howden.
He was 74, as you stated. The reference number is Volume 2a
page 96

The only difference is is middle initial is K. I would not worry unduly about this, I have found so many mistakes in census and
other transcriptions.

I believe you can now order certificates, from abroad on a website set up by the GRO

WWW.gro.gov.uk

I hope this is of some use

Kind regards
JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Les Darley

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Living in Australia and finding research hard to d
    • View Profile
Re: Assistance Required
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 September 04 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi JeannieR,

My apologies in not answering before but we have been moving house over the past month and I have only just got back onto the net.
Thanks for the info about JMD although I am a bit puzzled as another person has given me the same qrt and year but the page ref is 98 and not 96 and it is John M Darley.
I knew the GRO was trialling the ordering of certs online but it was only UK, it will be so much easier and quicker now they have opened it all up.

Regards,  Les

Names:  Darley, Wheeler, Heseltine, Hagger, Morritt, Bedford, Bodman, Naylor.

Areas:  Huttons Ambo, Rillington, Pickering, Howden, Ripon, Farnham, Gillingham (Kent), Barnet.