Author Topic: NBI lookup please - Cannot find death reg  (Read 3220 times)

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
NBI lookup please - Cannot find death reg
« on: Tuesday 23 May 06 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, I would really appreciate it, if some kind person, could lookup a death of Richard Berresford (born c1829) on the NBI.
He was a hawker/shoemaker and a traveller, I have him on the 1871 and 1881 censuses.  His youngest son (John) was born on 8th Dec 1881 at Hinckley, Leics, his daughter Sarah was married in Huddersfield on the 18th May 1885, and the marriage cert states that he is 'deceased', so I am guessing that he died between these dates.  His widow is on the 1891 census living in Hull.  I have searched the death indexes, but to no avail.
I have course, wondered if he just abandoned his family, but he has been an absolute nightmare, as I cannot find his marriage either!
I hope I haven't waffled too much!!!   Any help would be most appreciated.

Kath

Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NBI lookup please - Cannot find death reg
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath
Where was Richard born? There is a Richard Berresford Lodger Wid 64 Labourer born Manchester living in Hinckley in 1891
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

I can't believe how stupid I have been!!  Yes, Richard was born in Manchester, so I think this is more than likely him.

I didn't know about the son John born in Hinckley for a while, as he was in a deaf and dumb instituion in 1891 so wasn't with the rest of the family.  On the 1881 census the family were living in Warwickshire, I wonder why they parted, hope it wasn't because of John.

Many thanks for your help, it is really appreciated.

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 19:32 BST (UK) »
You're not stupid Kath - sometimes it takes a fresh pair of eyes. I spent ages searching for my ggg grandmother in 1851 when she had died in 1849 - wasn't till someone here re-presented me with info I already had that I realised that her husband was a widow in 51 and had then remarried another Ann  :D

Happy hunting
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline niftynita

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Great GPs, 2 children (incl my GF seated) 1912
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 May 06 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan
Kath's finding is probably right, as there is no Richard Berresford on the NBI (2nd ed) for the time period.   
Regards Anita
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and am always searching for the following in Aust & UK:
DORSET - Moore, Reeks;  WILTSHIRE - Chalk, Elkins; HAMPSHIRE - Chalk, Hack;  DERBYSHIRE - Chadwick;
CUMBERLAND - Armstrong, Pearson;  LONDON/KENT AREA - Frith, Knight; YORKSHIRE - Street (WR), Pearson (NR); SOMERSET - Pickford; 
GLOUCESTERSHIRE - Shearman, Tarling;   SCOTLAND - Street, Low, McNab.

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 May 06 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Anita,

Thanks for looking, it is appreciated.  Thanks to Jan, I am now looking after this date and have found a couple of death registrations that may be him, if only he had stayed in one place, have caravan will travel I suppose!

Thanks again.

Kath

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 June 06 20:29 BST (UK) »
I too can't find the death of my g.grandfather in the NBI = "National BURIAL Index".   This means I have no ref. number with which to obtain a copy death certificate.  I then visited the city where he lived.  A couple of ancient aunts have a vague idea of the year of death and has an idea which cemetery he's buried in but it's absolutely HUGE and I gave up after a couple of hours. The local cremetorium/cemetery archivist told me it was pointless looking thro their vast records, so I visited the local library and viewed the old local newspapers looking at obituaries with no luck.   However, the registrar told me to find a large library which has the "St. Catherine's DEATH Index" which she's positive will have the entry. 

Rena   
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 June 06 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena,

Thank you very much for that info.  Wishing you the best of luck in finding your g.grandfathers' death cert.

Kath

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 July 06 15:28 BST (UK) »
Rena,

Have you tried posting your grgrandfather's death on rootschat to let some of the dedicated lookeruppers have a go   ?

Just give us his name & approx date of death with a possible district & we will do our best.

It is not necessary to go looking for a large library with the St Catharine's Death Index, the full ONS death index is available online at Ancestry.co.uk, free to view & a pay to view site at www.1837online.com.

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk