Author Topic: 1891/1901 Putney - King family please-Completed Thanks  (Read 6408 times)

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1891/1901 Putney - King family please-Completed Thanks
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 May 06 09:17 BST (UK) »

Hi Kissimmee

Yes, getting the certificate would be fascinating, but I fully understand how direct line certs are far more important to spend the pounds on - I'm in exactly the same quandary, as I bet most of us are.

Roll on 1911!

Cheers
K.
:)
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Jefferson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hello
I just came across this post earlier whilst searching the history on where I live and would like to share what I know.
I purchased one of these villas back in 2009 but they are no longer known as Ozone Villas but as No. 3,5,7 and 9 Hilda Road. Post code NR11 8BA. If you google earth it you will get lovely pics on it. (see attached link http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&xhr=t&q=5+hilda+road,+mundesley&cp=23&wrapid=tljp1304542636387022&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=5+Hilda+Rd,+Mundesley,+Norfolk+NR11+8&gl=uk&ei=tr3BTdOlC4SY8QP_8uDXBQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBsQ8gEwAA

I think all of these villas were converted into flats back in the early 80's but they have all now since been converted back with mine being the last. We have renovated it back to its original state where we could. They are lovely big old houses with a lot of character. I would love to know the history on this place and learn about who lived here previous. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mundesley UK
Nottingham UK
Chelmsford UK

Offline Kissimmee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jefferson,

How interesting I do love to hear any little snippets that makes the past seem to come alive.
I am sure it has been very rewarding restoring your property.

Someone out there is sure to come back with who lived in these properties.

Kissimmee

Essex - Baker, Spriggs, Wade, Bearman, Crosier,
Walker, Rolfe, Joslin, Coats
Australia - Baker
Kent - Chattington, O'Hara, Roffey
London - Stevens, Stone, Davies, Walker
Cambridge - O'Hara
And who knows where else......

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DACH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 June 18 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,
New to this site!

Just stumbled across this site and thread via a google search.

Alfred Murrel King and his wife Helen (neé Bearman) are my great Grandparents.
Corrie king is therefore a great aunt (my fathers Aunt) and the story of her marrying Prince Hafiz has been passed down in part.
I have the marriage certificate of 1900.
The Prince was 49 at the time of his marriage, in a church in Wandsworth, to Corrie King who was 26.
I won’t comment further at this stage as I see the post is 12 years old and many members have not been active for some time
Anyone out there found out more or still interested?

Offline Kissimmee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 June 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
Dach I would love to know anything about your great grandparents.  Although they are only an off branch to my family history, I love to collect everything sideways not just the direct line.

Although I would not be able to add anything to your branch someone out there may come forward.

Australia - Baker
Cambridge - O'Hara

Offline DACH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 June 18 12:03 BST (UK) »
Morning;)

Ok, Alfred Murrell King was quite a successful man becoming the master confectioner and later manager of 'Barkers' department store in Kensington, London. I'll try and attach a photo taken in 1906. This is the year Alfred died but it won't have changed much during his time.
Helen Bearman, his wife was 10 years his junior born 1847. For some reason unknown, she is shown as 'Rebecca' on their 1863 marriage certificate!?

Alfred died in 1906 leaving his estate to Helen, a sum of £10,820, today worth £1,200,000
Helen died in 1919

His daughter Corrie Louise King; Corrie was 26 when she married Prince Hafiz in 1900. My mother dug up this information when researching a school project for me as a child, from the records my father had been passed down, he being the son of Dorothy Rose King, Corrie's younger sister!

From memory my Dad was able to say that his Aunt Corrie had married a Prince Hafiz but the marriage didn't last long. The family story is that Corrie's brother had had to rescue her from an upstairs window via a ladder to make her escape! It begs the question what had exactly gone on for things to have turned out like this. It is unknown where this address was, but could explain why in 1901 census Corrie is shown with her mother and other family members in Norfolk, whilst her father is still in London, working you would assume?

This story was backed up by my fathers cousin, his parents descending via Corrie's older brother Alfred Edward King.

'The Prince' was 49 in 1900 marriage cert so not the chap found at Cambridge earlier in this post aged 19. Hopefully you can see the marriage cert from 1900? Married in a church in Wandsworth London. Whats bizarre, apart from the fact a muslim married in a church is the way his 'name; is recorded as 'The Prince Hafiz of the Abbassides', he also gave his rank or profession as the same! Corrie is later shown as Corrie Hafiz (1901c) so ok to assume this was 'his' surname but no idea what his first name was. His father, shown deceased is shown as Prince Harzza! I cant quite make out the location they 'claim' to come from but believe they indicate they come from 'Hadram out in South Arabia'.

Call me cynical but i don't think this chap was a prince of any importance! I could be wrong, but odd he marries an ordinary London girl! I suspect he had his eyes on possible inheritance from his father in law

Somewhere i have the name of the brother who rescued Corrie, but having recently moved house, it will take some finding.

Corrie remarried an Albert Joseph Martin, date unknown but she is shown as Corrie Louise Martin in Sept 1917 passenger lists, travelling from New York USA to Liverpool UK where she intends to permanently reside. Address given is the King family address of 3 Dealtry Rd Putney. I have no idea when or where Albert and Corrie met or were married, suspect USA as i couldn't find records in the UK.

Albert was a WW1 soldier serving in the Royal Army Medical Corps, i have his medals but his service records do not survive being burnt during the bombing of WW2. These would have given join up dates and family members, possibly Corrie. What is still unanswered is when did they both meet, when did Albert come back to the UK and enlist in the Army? He must have travelled separately to Corrie as he is not on the passenger list above. His medal entitlement indicate his service was after jan 1916.
After the war Albert worked as an Osteopath, my father would go to him to get treated for sporting injuries. He was a 'Mason' and chatted to my father about the pro's of also becoming one. My father declined. With his medals also came some masonic badges. My father indicated that Arthur trained as an Osteopath, not sure if this was before or after WW1 and in America, but he had the title 'Professor in Anatomy and Physiology'. I suspect before the war and in America, as his medical background would have given him passage into the medical corps.

Ive tried to attach photos - failed - new to this web page - can upload if you give me some guidance;)
Hope this is of some use.
D

Offline Kissimmee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 June 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Dach

Thanks for going to all that trouble to send me the details of your family.  It is all very interesting and I am sure that someone out there will find they have a nearer connection to you.  I am sure you will love using RootsChat.  Everyone is so friendly and keen to help.  I have had such a lot of success in the past with the help of others.  I have forgotten  how to send photos and also I know you can arrange for things to go to your own e mail address without others seeing your address but once again have forgotten how to do that.

Hope you get a lot of help

Kissimmee
Australia - Baker
Cambridge - O'Hara

Offline DACH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 June 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, sorry i thought your connection was closer and the information on the marriage certificate was of a closer interest, i would have kept my explanation shorter;)

Offline DACH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 November 18 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

If anyone is interested, i was given a photo this week of the King house in Mundesley, with others with Helen/Ellen and her children and Grandchildren. On the rear it says 'Grandpa's house in Norfolk'. This has come through Helen to her daughter Dorothy and then her son, my father Eric.

It is NOT as described above in Hilda Road, but does back onto these properties, being situated in Goodwin Road today. It is a detached large property. It still remains, i believe, one private dwelling although the gardens that are well manicured c1900 have been sold off and modern houses now fill this plot. The house, otherwise, appears virtually unchanged from the outside.

I still dont know how to upload photos ... otherwise i would.