Author Topic: Brown, Dawson, Platt, Garside & many others  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Len Brown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brown, Dawson, Platt, Garside & many others
« on: Saturday 17 June 06 06:43 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any links to these family names???

or

any other family names associated with the above & below mentioned families .

Other family names, Arnold, Green, Dudson, Graham, Sharples, Moulding, Hampson, Taylor, Storer, Arden, Lowe, Lowndes, Mather, Lawson, Robinson, Relph, Studholme

I would be very pleased to hear from you.

Cheers
Len Brown
Sydney Australia

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Brown, Dawson, Platt, Garside & many others
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 06 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Len, I have Lowndes from Congleton/Buglawton area, any use?

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline Len Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

Thank you for your reply.

My connection to the LOWNDES family is by way of my grandfather.

His first wife was Ada Lydia LOWNDES the daughter of William John LOWNDES  (I have no info on her mother.) Ada was married on the 21 October 1920 to my grandfather Harold BROWN in Stockport

Her father, William, is believed to have been deceased at the time of her marriage.

Ada unfortunately died in 1923, about 18 months after the birth of her only child, Arthur (my uncle, who is also now deceased.)

She was born in the Stockport area in about 1893.

Unfortunately I have no further info on her or other LOWNDES family members.

My grandfather remarried in November 1924 to Norah Platt DAWSON (my grandmother).

Do you have any connection or knowledge of my lot.
I would be very pleased for any info that would throw some light on this area of my family forest.

Cheers
Len

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Len, great to hear from you, am not sure if we are connected to the same Lowndes or not as mine are definitley from Congleton area and I think Astbury going back but am not completely sure, you never know though, we might be related somewhere along the line.

Good luck with your family history research!

Anna
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Len, found this on the 1901, don't know if it might help kickstart your Lowndes or not, they are living in the St Mary's area of Stockport and they are living at what looks like the Crown and Mytre, 5 to 7 King Street, they are William Lowndes Head aged 47 born Stockport, publican, Elizabeth, wife, aged 42 born Stockport, Sarah, daughter aged 14, something in cotton doubling mill born Oldham, William, son, aged 12, born Oldham, bobbiner in cotton doubling mill, Annie, daughter aged 9, born Stockport,  Ada, daughter, 7, born Stockport and Charles, son, aged 5 born Stockport

Hope this helps

Anna

Minto, - Durham
Huess - Somerset

Offline Len Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 June 06 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

Thank you. I very much appreciate the info that you have given me.
Unfortunately I don't have access to the 1901 census records.

The data appears to have been 100% correct.

According to the marriage details that I have for Ada & Harold, is that prior to their wedding, Ada was residing at 5 King Street also there was an Annie LOWNDES recorded as a witness.
Ada had an older sister named Annie.

The other interesting info that has become more evident is that just about all of my relo's from that era who were residing in the Stockport area and surrounds all seemed to work in some capacity at a local cotton mill.

I'm not familiar with the local area of Stockport and surrounds although I have visited there a couple of times, I haven't had the chance to really explore the areas where my relo's resided. (next time)

I still have a lot of relo's living around the area.

Thank you once again, I appreciate the your time & help.

Cheers
Len

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 June 06 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again Len, there is a William John Lowndes whose marriage was registered April May June quarter of 1884 in Oldham, the volume number is 8d and the page number is 1067. On the same page is an Elizabeth Yates.

Hope this helps

Anna
Minto, - Durham
Huess - Somerset

Offline Len Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

Thank you once again for the info.

I had a look through the 1881 Census and found, what could possibly be an entry which relates to Elizabeth YATES and her family.

It would appear that there is a connection between the YATES side and Ada LOWNDES as her middle name is Lydia. This is the same name (according to the 1881 census) as the mother of Elizabeth YATES.

The only way I'm going to be able to put all this together is to get a bundle of BDM certificates.
Is there one central location where certificates are obtainable in the Cheshire County. Most of my lot were from the Stockport area and some from Bollington area as well.

It is unfortunate that the computer records for BDM in the UK don't give any further detail other than the year of the relevant event and the name of the person registered. If they showed the parents names, then it would save a lot of unnecessary expense and wrong persons being entered into the "Family Forest"

Cheers
Len

Offline petefm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 16:41 BST (UK) »

Len,

It looks like you're not still active on this site, but if you are I have information about the Lowndes connection to your family. My grandfather was Charles Lowndes, brother of Ada Lydia Lowndes, and I have contact with surviving family members, and a few photos.

Best wishes

Peter