Author Topic: The D'Assigny family of Jersey  (Read 21052 times)

Offline Derekmillstep

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The D'Assigny family of Jersey
« on: Saturday 17 June 06 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Chatters,
I am looking for any parish register information on my descendant Pierre D'Assigny and his family. He was a French Huguenot refugee who was appointed Rector of St Helier 1638-1643 and Rector of St Martin 1645-1660. He and his wife Elizabeth (Marins) were married in London in 1636 and had at least two children in Jersey, Marius born 1642/3 and Elizabeth (birth N/K). It is highly likely that Elizabeth predeceased Pierre for he remarried (for the third time), possibly in Jersey. Marius married Elizabeth Effard in 1668 and I believe she was also born in Jersey.
Many thanks.
The D'Assigny Families of Jersey and North Devon

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The D'Assigny family of Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi -

I have found two marriages and several baptisms which seem relevant:

St Helier parish church -

Marriage:  15 Oct 1629
Pre [Pierre] Darteny [that's how it is written] de St Lo en Normandie et
Jeanne Theodore 
.... do you think this is him?

Baptisms:  D'ASSIGNY
2.1.1638/9  Philippe fils de Pierre, Recteur de la Parroise de St Helier
(GP - pere, Messire Philippe de Carteret, chevalier, lieutenant-Gouveneur de ceste Ille)

15.3.1642/3  Marius fils de mr Pasteur de ceste Eglise

St Martin parish church -

Marriage:  D'ASSIGNY  20.9.1654  Mr Pierre, Pasteur de St Mt. m (3n)  Marguerite Nicole  fe Richard et Susanne Mallet sa femme.

Baptisms:
D'ASSIGNY
9.5.1652   Jean fs Pre  [Pierre - I think]
5.9.1655   Margte  fe Pre
10.9.1656  Pre fs Pre et dlle Margte Nicolle
18.11.1657  Margte fe Pre et mse Margte Nicolle.

So presumably Pierre D'Assigny was married to Jeanne Theodore, in Jersey 1629, re-married to Elizabeth in London, 1636, and had Philippe, Marius and probably Jean before Elizabeth died.  He then re-married Marguerite Nicolle in 1654, and they appear to have had three more children - Marguerite 1 (who must have died young), Pierre and Marguerite 2.

Do you think this might be right?

If the first marriage is correct, you have a good lead to the French parish records in St Lo, Normandie, for his birth and family there.

If you are not familiar with the French vocabulary let me know - and I will explain.

Mike
Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 April 12 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi just found this post on Pierre d' Assigny I am a direct descendant. I would really like to know how I can trace Pierre's pedigree to France but not sure were to start. Can you help?

Offline Derek.M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 13 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa, I also believe that I am a descendant of Pierre D'Assigny through his son Marius, born 1643 in St Helier, Jersey. Pierre was Rector there. Is it him that is your ancestor?

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 March 13 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek. M. I descend from Pierre d' Assigny and his third wife Marguerite Nicholle they are my 9th Grt Grandparents. I then go down through Marguerite their daughter baptised 18 Nov 1657 St Martin (The second Marguerite) who married Jean Messervy. Their daughter Sara baptised 13 Aug 1685 St Martin married Elie Nicolle. I have a baptism date for Marius of 15 March 1642 at St Helier. Hope this helps regards Lisa.

Offline Derek.M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 March 13 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa, Thanks for the prompt response. I assume then you are descended from the maternal line. My mother's maiden name was Disney (anglicised over generations from D'Assigny). I believe we were descended from Pierre's son Marius during his time as a vicar in Cutcombe, Somerset. The family moved to north Devon and eventually south in the county to Brixham, where I was born. I would be very interested to view your family tree as far back as Pierre, if that is possible.

Are you aware of Pierre's Huguenot background as a priest - his involvement in the English Civil War and his position as Rector in two Jersey parishes? Not a lot is known about him after he left Jersey, for the second time, in 1661 following the Restoration (he was a Parliamentarian/Puritan), but it is possible he went from the Channel Islands to Holland and there to the new colonies in America and settled in New Jersey, in a place called Woodbridge. It is also possible he became a surgeon (?!) and died in 1694. I have this information from a researcher in New Jersey who I am presently sharing information with.

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek
If you could give me a few days I will sort and sent you through my pedigree from Pierre on a personal email. Regards Lisa

Offline Derek.M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 12:37 GMT (UK) »

Hi Lisa,

I look forward to receiving the family history information you have in due course.
Back to your original enquiry - the French origins of Pierre D'Assigny, as far as I am aware the records available show he was born in Autonne de Perche, in circa 1610, his father being named as Daniel.
I have read and had copied an original letter from Marius D'Assigny, his son, who in 1709 refers to his father's family, please see an extract of my transcription of the letter below.

I understood by your Graces Saying to me when I presented you with the Mystery of Anabaptism Unmask’d That I had been a long time in England, That your Grace took me for a foreigner whereas I am a Native of the Isle of Jersey born in St Hillarys Town 1642, my father being then minister of that Parish having left his Contry and Relations for his Conscience being descended from a Noble Family of Britany.

Regards,

Derek

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek
Thanks for the information. I have wanted to trace Pierres family for a long time but because I can't read French I haven't been able to move forward. I know there is a large noble family with the name of d' Assigny, but I have never been able to link Pierre. Maybe he was never added to the pedigree because he was out of the country - out of sight out of mind so to speck. Have you managed to find your descent from Marius with certificates etc... Which one of his sons do you descend from? Who are his Graces that Marius is referring to? Some one in the church that he had had dealings with in France? I will send the tree A.S.A.P.
Kind Regards Lisa