Author Topic: Margaret McCann  (Read 7563 times)

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Margaret McCann
« on: Monday 19 June 06 14:42 BST (UK) »
I have a Margaret McCann married Samuel Purdy at St John's, Preston, Lancashire, on 4th May 1857.  We know from census returns that she was born in Ireland around 1839.

I have found a baptism that seems to fit at Killoe, Co Longford, in April 1839, the daughter of Francis McCann and Rose Reilly.

Can anyone offer any evidence to support or refute this possible link?   :-\

Thanks
Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret McCann
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 July 06 01:03 BST (UK) »
Oh dear - her marriage certificate shows father's name as John  :'(

Back to the drawing board!

Please see my new message #172088.0 on the Ireland General page.
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 March 08 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bill,

I've linked this thread to your Purdy / McCann thread.

What denomination were these families?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that the church records still exist.

Christopher 

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 March 08 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher

This is a major puzzle!  I have it on good authority that all the male offspring from this family were brought up as protestants and all the females as catholics, so my guess would be that they were RC.  I know that Samuel Purdy was born in Magherafelt in Co. Derry, but I don't know where Margaret McCann was born.

Bill

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 March 08 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Where did the marriage take place- England or Ireland? church or registry office?
If children were raised 2 different religions it sounds as though it could have been a mixed marriage.
Was Samuel Purdy born in Magherafelt itself or in the Magherafelt area?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 March 08 13:23 GMT (UK) »
They were married at St John's Church, Preston, Lancashire, on 4th May 1857; he was stationed nearby at Fullwood Barracks. 

His place of birth is given in his discharge papers as Magherafelt, Co. Derry, and he was 19 (or said he was) when he joined the 6th Royal Regt. of Foot on 18th December 1844 - this is all I have to go on.

I first thought that it was probably a mixed marriage, but then I found out that Irish Catholic families often brought their sons up as Protestants to improve their chances of getting a good job.