Author Topic: Bakers & Whitmarsh Parish Records  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Blunny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bakers & Whitmarsh Parish Records
« on: Thursday 29 June 06 09:56 BST (UK) »
Morning All,
    I have 3 families, gleaned from the IGI, that I need to prove, as one cannot be sure on IGI. How, where, does one go.
    The families are William Baker & Mary Knowles married 01/08/1784 at Kingsclere, their family of 6 poss 7 children born Headley & Kingsley.
    The Whitmarsh family of Robert Whitmarsh & Hannah Moody married 19/02/1800 East Wellow, & 6 children, all born at East Wellow.
    The Baker family of Moses Baker & Ann Whitmarsh & 10 children, born at East Wellow & Tuxlith/Milland.
    Any advice as to where to go and approximate cost please, many thanks.
Peter
Battle - Blunham, Bedfordshire.
Baker - Kingsley, Headley, East Wellow, Tuxlith, Hampshire &  Croydon, Surrey.
Arnold - Holybourne, Hants.
Gates - Holybourne, Hants
Davies - Croydon & Hackney
Kearns - Co Tyrone, N. Ireland (also Cearns)
Magill - Co Donegal, Ireland
Whitmarsh - East Wellow, Hampshire

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bakers & Whitmarsh Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 June 06 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

What is it you are trying to prove?

Is the information that you gleaned from the IGI from extracted records or member-submitted?

In as far as one can prove anything before 1837, it is always recommended that the original parish records be consulted.  However, if what you have found already came from extracted records, then you may not find much more than is already contained on the IGI.  Post 1812 baptisms may contain the maiden name of the mother, but not always.  However, it will contain the occupation of the father and where they lived.  But there again, the father could have changed his occupation with the passing years!  And they could have moved to a differently-named part of the town/village or parish.

Prior to the introduction of printed registers in 1812, then you are at the mercy of the incumbent with regard to the detail contained in the register.

For marriages, there are no parents' names included ( no box for them) and occupations likewise are often missing.

To link the children to their parents, apart from baptism records, there may be a will.  No-one should be discounted as too poor - sometimes they surprise us. 

Burial records of children who died young may record their father's name.  There may be memorial inscriptions as well.  They could help.

Have you looked at the online catalogue for Hampshire Record Office?  See here:

http://www.hants.gov.uk/record-office/catalog/index.html

But it really depends what you wish to prove   :-\

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chiefsub68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bakers & Whitmarsh Parish Records
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 October 16 22:10 BST (UK) »
A long delay from your original post but I have information on a Baker family from Wellow c mid 1700s to mid 1800s. I'll keep this short until I know the chat is still live.
:: Williams - Newborough and Conway
:: Bramhill/Bramhall/Brammall - Liverpool
:: Prossor - Ireland, Portsmouth, Southampton, Manchester and Liverpool
:: Unwin - Liverpool
:: Baker - Portsmouth
:: Elvidge - Notts
:: Albrow - Leeds, Manchester, London, Suffolk
:: Hudson - Leeds
:: Hoggarth - N.Yorks