Author Topic: 1851, 1861, 1871 Brecknock census lookups  (Read 22459 times)

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1851, 1861, 1871 Brecknock census lookups
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 August 06 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hello
Here they are in 1871
Rhys

1871 Llansaintfraid
RG10 5582 f 65 p 5
Skethrog
GRIFFITHS Thomas, h, m, 56, shepherd, HEF Clifford
GRIFFITHS Mary, w, m, 56,, BRE Glasbury
GRIFFITHS Jane, d,, 11, scholar, BRE Llansaintfraed
GRIFFITHS Edwin, gs,, 1,, BRE Hay
DAVIES Rachel, ld, u, 52, maintained by the union, BRE Glasbury

Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 August 06 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that, Rhys. Think I've now found Thomas and Mary in 1881, aged 69 and 68 respectively, living at Old Toll Gate Cottage, Llanvigan, Brecon. Thomas is shown as an "Outdoor Pauper"; that can't be as bad as it sounds.....can it?????

Mike
Thomas (Radnor & Carmarthen), Evans (Radnor, Carmarthen & Monmouth), Jones (Radnor & Brecon), Jenkins (Radnor), Arthur (Radnor), Griffiths (Glamorgan), Richards (Glamorgan), Phelps (Monmouth), Probert (Brecon), Davies (Brecon), Holmes (Monmouth), Hunt (Oxon), Davis (Oxon & Bucks), Ridgeway (Oxon), Church (Bucks), Cordani (Italy).

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 August 06 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike
I think an outdoor pauper was one who received some form of parish relief without the necessity of residing in the workhouse.

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 August 06 13:32 BST (UK) »
hi
Here is Mary in 1891
Rhys

1891 LLANFEIGAN
RG12 4571 f 16 p 8

Old Turnpike Penkelly
Mary Griffith h wid 79 Brec Glasbury
Mary A Griffith d single 40  Charwoman Brec Glasbury
Clara J Griffith Grand d u 9 Scholar Brec Llanfigon
Thomas Griffith Grandson u 3                     do
Bouncing Emails

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 August 06 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Rhys. I'm now suddenly hoping that all your efforts are not going to have been in vain! May just be me being paranoid again, though.

Since my last postings, I have been comparing the census returns for 1851 and 1861 showing a younger William Griffiths with those for 1881 and 1891 (and possibly also the 1871 Fochriw appearance) showing the person who MUST be my g-g-grandfather and also a marriage certificate I hold showing him as 25 in November 1873. The registrar in Hay has also found what may be a suitable birth record dated 29 September 1845 in Felindre, Glasbury. I know this sort of problem crops up frequently, but there is a potential age discrepancy with some of these records of about 5 years. Am I in danger of making the facts fit the story here?

Mike   
Thomas (Radnor & Carmarthen), Evans (Radnor, Carmarthen & Monmouth), Jones (Radnor & Brecon), Jenkins (Radnor), Arthur (Radnor), Griffiths (Glamorgan), Richards (Glamorgan), Phelps (Monmouth), Probert (Brecon), Davies (Brecon), Holmes (Monmouth), Hunt (Oxon), Davis (Oxon & Bucks), Ridgeway (Oxon), Church (Bucks), Cordani (Italy).

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 25 August 06 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike
All i can say is that i can find no other William born Glasbury or surrounding area  C1850 with Thomas as father, or  another with a brother George.

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 August 06 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Rhys, it feels like I'm always pestering you these days!

Mike :)

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 August 06 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike.
Returning to the Probert family.
Per the Welsh census records there are only two Joseph Proberts born before 1851.
They both appear in 1841 only.
One was born 1781 and was a collier living in Llangattock.
The other was born 1828  in Monmouthshire and living in Bedwellty.
There is only one Joshua Probert in  the Welsh census returns. He is the Cooper you have details of. The family do not seem to appear in 1851.

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 August 06 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for coming back to me on that one, Rhys. The more I look at my Probert conundrum the more I'm convinced that possibly two individuals have become conflated here, namely Joshau Probert and Joseph Maddocks, in whose house Ann Probert appears to have lived, as a servant, in 1871. I'm absolutely certain that I have the right Ann, thanks to your efforts, on the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses, when her place of birth is given as Talgarth, Breconshire and Llyswen respectively. Her age is more or less spot on throughout, based on what may or may not turn out to be her birth certificate from December 1848 which shows a father's name of Joshua, the cooper whose name and location we have on all censuses except 1851. Added to this, we have a 12-year-old Ann, born in more or less the right place, with the Probert family in 1861. It is only on the certificates for her two marriages that her father's name is shown as Joseph, occupation "cooper". Sound reasonable, or am I deluding myself? It certainly seems likely to me if the only other available options are the two Joseph Proberts in your last post.

Mike