Author Topic: Epidemic in Campbeltown 1848?  (Read 7871 times)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Epidemic in Campbeltown 1848?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 17:06 BST (UK) »
I add this because the above was word-limited...
With many of my timelines, I try, when possible, to add aspects relative to national events, environment or even period costumes..., in order to get a better perception of the life and times of the person being researched.   However, the following (above) was to upset my 'frilly vision' of summer hats, long dresses and trimmings that go towards a 'clean-living' society and a healthy environment... 1853    Little did I know !   

Note:  Longrow, Campbeltown :   I distinctly remember my Granny Black (father; Robert MacFarlane McArthur and living at Dalaruan as a butcher) preciously separating household waste.   Not for ecological reasons as we do today, but in order to give it all to the man climbing the stairs with a 'swill-bin' over his shoulder to feed the familys' pigs behind the Low Askomil Road..., where Robert's father had built a house.
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 21:12 BST (UK) »
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 19:37 BST (UK) »
there is a magazine which used to have a link on here which had a lot of information  about an epidemic and they placed all the bodies in the local church and burned it to the ground they had been using it as a hospital but to many to care for and mostly wives and children no time registered deaths nor dig  graves no time for that they just wanted to stop it from spreading any more. so they cleansed the town this way
cant remember the author though historian etc. florry Campbell who went to America caught in a battle and brought back to Scotland by a relly angus a captain of his own fishing trawlwer fetched them all back.
Marjorie . I know I will kick myself the moment that someone comes up with the name because its logged in my memory somewhere Campbell and mcdonalds etc.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet