Author Topic: I Wish My Family Had Been Quakers!  (Read 5381 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: I Wish My Family Had Been Quakers!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 July 06 15:21 BST (UK) »
Brilliant find! Lucky you and I think everyone here agrees with you about all our families being Quakers. Might make things a bit simpler.

I can understand why you would be so excited even though it isn't your family. My cousin in law's wife showed me a family tree that had been made by a relative of hers. It only went back to 1850 or so but all the names and dates were on pieces of paper stuck in the relevant place. Even though all the names were there, the dates weren't on everyone's slip of paper so they have to be found. It was great to see something like that and get info from it. I have already found a couple of the names and been able to match them to the right dates so that has pleased her.

I don't think it matters whether it belongs to your family or not. We still tend to get so excited at the sight of anything like that.

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 July 06 15:22 BST (UK) »
PS a peep at the 1700's style certificate would be great

carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 July 06 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hiya, Quaker fans,

Well, as promised, here are scans of a couple of the birth certificates. The handwritten may be a copy made in 1793 as it has that date at the bottom, so may have been fancy-fied for a reason. The wording is almost identical to another handwritten one from 1776 which is very fragile, and also stays pretty much the same for the semi-printed one of 1809. The only real difference is that some mention a child "who we named", some say "who they named" and some say "who was named"

It would therefore seem that the Quakers had a generally accepted wording for these certificates. The wavy edge of the 1809 one is repeated on some of the others, but not all of them so may have been a local variation.

Cool, eh! And even more annoying that they aren't mine :(

Glen

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 July 06 19:03 BST (UK) »
Fantastic to see! Thanks Glen

I know I will probably never see anything this briliant with my families so I am making the most of them here.

We can but dream of a find like this one

Carol

Paul E

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hiya, Quaker fans,

Glen

How many Darlington fans ARE there Rootschat? ;D

These images are great, Glen.  Thanks for taking the time to do this!

cheers

Paul

Offline wotty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 13:14 BST (UK) »
Well, not only am I a Darlington fan (though from a distance for the past 25 years!) but I have real Quakers in my family tree too.

I just wish I knew more about them. All I have is an entry in great aunt Doris's diary about going to "Eldon to see great great grandfather Newton who was a fine Quaker and founder of the church".

Wotty.
Meehan - Co Durham, Ireland, USA and Canada
Hopps -  Co Durham and N. Yks
Ward, Mortimer, Littleboy - Norfolk
Angus -  Co Durham
Pyle -  Co Durham and Northumberland
Rowntree -  N Yks and Co Durham
Ridley - Co Durham
Kelly -  Co Durham and Ireland

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 13:42 BST (UK) »
They are really fantastic  :)

Oh what I would give for Quaker ancestors who kept stuff in an envelope at the back of a cupboard instead of Anglicans, Methodists and Scottish Presbyterians   :(

Nearest I get is  a Quaker wedding that I attended many years ago :)

Thanks for showing them Glen.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Paul E

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 17:21 BST (UK) »

Oh what I would give for Quaker ancestors who kept stuff in an envelope at the back of a cupboard instead of Anglicans, Methodists and Scottish Presbyterians   :(

Gadget

Know what you mean Gadget.  I keep looking in my cupboard but the only Quakers I find are the oats variety! :)

cheers

Paul

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 July 06 18:28 BST (UK) »
From someone who has Quaker Ancestors ;D

The Weddings are great they list relations that
attended on one side , and friends that attended
down the other.