Author Topic: look-up request Dunfermline  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Rob-B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: look-up request Dunfermline
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 November 15 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boop. Your Grandfather James Ferguson was the brother of my Great Grandmother, Annabella Ferguson (Shaw)! Would you be willing to share the information you have found? I would be glad to do the same.

Thanks
Rob Bartholomew
Germantown, MD, USA

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 November 15 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boop,

Thought I would ask if you tried Ferguson with "soundex" option which would bring up Fergusson & "All areas" for 1918 death without ages or any other info. typed in..........open to all options?

There are only 44 entries with this search although Fergusson only has 3.

For Ann, I tried with forename blank, 1930 surname Ferguson, other name sinclair & 1 has come up but I used all areas again & didn't put an age in either.

She may have been known as something else (possibly a middle name) but not sure if you have tried that?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rob-B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 November 15 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boop, I got your personal message, even though the site insisted that I'm not allowed to receive or send them.. Unfortunately there is no way for me to reply.. If you cn send me another message with an email address, hopefully I'll get it and can respond.

I know my aunt did some research on the Fergusons and Sinclairs, so hopefully I can get some useful information from them too.

Thanks
Rob

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 November 15 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Welcome on board, Rob  :)

The only reason that RootsChat want new members to have a couple of posts under their belt before accessing their Private Message service (PMs) is to limit abuses by spammers etc. This is also the reason why personal emails are kept off the main open boards and the PM service is the way to exchange personal details. No more than that really.

You should now be able to send a PM directly yourself to Boop too...see www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=34565

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 December 15 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Boop/Rob,
Perhaps this is your man. John Ferguson died age 70 at Porter Lodge, Ardlinglass on 18 Apr 1861. He was married to Sarah McCallum. The informants are son John Ferguson and widow Sara Ferguson. The death is registered in Kilmorich, Argyll.

John and Sarah had a daughter Isabel baptized 10 Jul 1831 in Lochgoilhead and Kilmorich, Argyll. You will find the family in the 1841 census transcribed at ancestry.com as Sherquson. They live at Ardlinglass House East Lodge.

In 1851 the household appears to be split with John at Lochgoilhead and Kilmorich. I could not find Sarah or daughter Isabella. Sara reappears in 1861 and with John resides at Ardno in Kilmorich, Argyll. Their nest is empty except for their grandson John McKean or McShean, age 4, born in Glasgow.

John McKean born about 1857 appears to drop off the radar about same time your John Ferguson born about 1857 appears. I wonder if John and Sarah adopted John McKean and changed his name to Ferguson.
==
Colin