Author Topic: St Columb Minor Look up please  (Read 8868 times)

Offline junket

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Help appreciated (SIGHT IMPAIRMENT) with image
    • View Profile
St Columb Minor Look up please
« on: Wednesday 16 August 06 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for the marriage of Christian Yellon. Resident of Back St., in 1841, aged 30, with 2 children, William aged 8 and Joseph aged 6.

I am hoping the YELLON should read YELLAND.

If possible I would also like to have all parish record entries for this family, (if they are the Yelland family).

I am searching for the parents of Joseph Yelland born St Columb Minor, married Ruth Wellington.

I also have a query about another person, a Joseph PEARCE born Wells Somerset, who has a Marriage recorded in the St Columb entries.Vol 5c Page 189. Jun 1/4 1859.  My husband's gg grandfather was a Joseph Pearce from Wells District, Somerset, and his wife's name was Mary.  We are wondering if this is his marriage and would like more info. if possible please.

I hope you are able to help, and thank you in advance.

junket
Paternal line, ALL CORNISH ...
AUGER, BALL, BRAY, BROAD, COLMAN, COON, EDE, GLASSON, HICKS, INCH, LEMIN, RUNNALLS, PEARCE, PRATER, PROUT, TRUDGIAN, TREVAINS, VIVIAN, WELLINGTON, YELLAND

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Columb Minor Look up please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 18:56 BST (UK) »

According  to freebmd, Page 189 is not yet fully transcribed.
The one name which does appear is Mary Cock.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline junket

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline

Thank you, any idea why he is listed in St Columb Minor ?

junket
AUGER, BALL, BRAY, BROAD, COLMAN, COON, EDE, GLASSON, HICKS, INCH, LEMIN, RUNNALLS, PEARCE, PRATER, PROUT, TRUDGIAN, TREVAINS, VIVIAN, WELLINGTON, YELLAND

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Junket  ;D  ;D  ;D

Ooh You really have my interest here. Look forward to hearing more from you. Take a look at my website. http://kris.rootschat.net/

My interest stems from Joseph and Ruth's daughter Mary, who married William Flamank of Newquay. Joseph, born 20 May 1835 at St Col Major, was the son of Joseph Yelland baptised 12 Jan 1806 (His parents were Richard and Elizabeth) and Christian Broad (Her parents were John Broad and Elizabeth Hall.)

Joseph Yelland=Christiana Broad 2 Feb 1833 Little Petherick

Joseph married Ruth Wellington (Daughter of William and Ann Lewes) in 1859 in St Agnes where they lived and had 5 Children. By 1881 Ruth declares herself a widow, housekeeper to Francis Woolcock. She married Francis in 1886. Poor old Joseph was not dead at all.....he actually appears to be confined to The Cornwall County Lunatic Asylum, where he dies in 1896  :'(  :'(  :'(

Look forward to hearing from you..................Kris  ;D  ;D  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 August 06 02:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Junket,

I am wondering about this other Pearce you asked about? Firstly with regards to marriages after 1837 the CRO are unable to supply microfiche at this stage, therefore the only option is to purchase the certificate. Other than that the information is available at Records Office but you would need to know the parish where the marriage occurred. Reg districts cover a large area and there are many parishes involved. From these GRO references the St Col listed is the registration district, not necessarily the parish where the event took place.

I did try to see what I could see on this and I wonder where you came by this information? You say Joseph was from Wells and married in St Col, yet when I check June 1/4 1859 for Joseph Pearce or Pearse I can find no record of a Joseph marrying in St Columb.

I do however note a Joseph PEARCE did marry in Wells in that quarter. 5c [979] Now the writing is really bad. To me it looks 979. There are 4 names transcribed for St Col 5c 179 and Joseph in Wells. The 179 for Joseph is a transcription Error and is in Wells not in St Col. Now when I check for a corresponding entry for a Mary in Wells, I do see a Mary Ann FOXWELL at 5c 999. Now bit of an off chance (if you think this is your man) in Wells and not St Columb at all, then just maybe that middle number is a 9 for Joseph's entry also and just not coming up as high as the others.

Out of curiousity it may be interesting to check a Mary Ann FOXWELL in 1851 census and just see if it a match. All very iffy I realise with maybe numbers are not what they look like etc, but I just dont see a Joseph Pearce marrying in St Columb in that quarter at all. I am not very happy with the theory as if I try what I think the numbers are I have 4 names under each, 4 in St Col under 5C 179, 4 in Wells under 5C 979 and 4 names in Wells under 5C 999.  First thing to do is to check your records and see exactly what information you have, because I really think a mistake has been made here :-\

Cheers Kris  ;D

Offline junket

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 September 06 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi kris,

I am sending you  my source of information privately

thanks junket  :)

Offline plums

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 April 07 23:23 BST (UK) »
I am descended from John Yelland and Elizabeth Chapman. Their granddaughter Mary born 1741 (daughter of Richard Yelland and Rebecca Thomas) married John Arthur in 1762. I have some dates and places on my tree thus far that may be of interest to you.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 April 07 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi plums,

It appears that like your Yellands, most of the Yellands come from the St Stephen in Brannel area. Unless the other girls with an interest in this man have gotten further than me since we last talked, we have been unable to get our man out of St Columb. There are numerous Richard Yellands about unfortunately. I have been unable to locate the marriage of our Richard and Elizabeth. Would love to hear more if you can shed any light on this man. All we have is a baptism for Joseph 12 Jan 1806 St Columb Major and nothing else at all on his parents Richard and Elizabeth.

Cheers Kris  :D

Offline plums

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 April 07 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris,

You have probably already seen it, but if you "google" leverton genealogy, you will bring up a site that contains a multitude of Yelland references. Maybe you will find your lead in there.

Plums