Author Topic: Cap Coch, Bridgend  (Read 9350 times)

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cap Coch, Bridgend
« on: Monday 28 August 06 22:27 BST (UK) »
Does any one know the exact location of the New Inn of Cap Coch fame by the dipping bridge in Bridgend, or whether the inn and it's infamous keeper ever existed at all?

Nigel
Interested in Tŷ Mawr, Cellan and Davies family.  I'm related to Joseph Davies and Rachel Davies both buried in the church yard.  Joseph died c 1833 and Rachel in the 1780s

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cap Coch, Bridgend
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 August 06 22:42 BST (UK) »
Try www.genuki.org.uk - there are two Directories for Bridgend which mention a New Inn  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 08:37 BST (UK) »
Do you mean the inn that was once known as the Inn of fear?? Is it the dipping bridge by Merthyr Mawr?? If so i should be able to shed some light on this matter as i have the book at home about it.
 ;)
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 08:55 BST (UK) »
Cap Coch was the licensee of the New Inn which stood n a hollow on the Laleston side of the dipping bridge in the lane linking Ewenny with the Bridgend by-pass,.Have you read the chilling story in “Legends of Porthcawl and the Glamorgan Coast by Alun Morgan?
The New Inn in Laleston mentioned in Slaters is a different Inn completely it became the Oystercatcher! and is still in the village Cap Coch's Inn was pulled down many moons ago!
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 12:49 BST (UK) »
Trees, Is this the same Inn that i am on about? It seems to be the same dipping Bridge although to me its closer to Merthyr Mawr but its been a while since i bunked off school to sit on it!! LOL
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 12:59 BST (UK) »
Yes Bad Girl the dipping bridge is just off the junction of the lane leading back to the by-pass to wards Laleston and the main lane down to Merthyr Mawr The old  New Inn was on the Laleston side of the dipping bridge and had long gone when we were in school
I take it you're a local! I grew up in Laleston my bedroom window faced the Laleston New Inn,  moved to Bridgend and now live in Coity!
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 13:05 BST (UK) »
Localish, if you can call Wick local. I have a very old book called the Inn of fear about an Inn that no longer exists(possibly the same one) from by there somewhere where various murders or something took place. The book gives quite a lot of info about the owners and the victims according to my Grandfather who left it to me. As far as i know the book is no longer in print but if its the same place i will get my Uncle to post it to me as i am away from home for a while. The info may be of use to nigelw.
 ???
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 13:41 BST (UK) »
Cap Coch was hung at Stalling Down near Cowbridge for sheep stealing then when they searched the Inn they found a lot of stolen goods then the bodies had been buried in the garden in twos and threes They found bodies buried in fields quite a way from the Inn He had started put the bodies in the Ogmore but discovering so many at the mouth of the river was causing a stir! So he started burying them. He got his name as he wore a red cap like those worn in the French Revolution the Inn was used by people changing Stage coaches-or rather trying to change coaches! One stopped on the West of the river Ogmore there not being a suitable bridge for a coach in the town, and the other started at Ewenny on the East of the river
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk