Author Topic: lookup Jackman family  (Read 13764 times)

Offline gnasher22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lookup Jackman family
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 January 11 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, i have been researching my Jackman family also, i can trace them around co. kilkenny in the 1800's but i am sure they are all related with Wexford being next door and a likely place to land, i know a few of the Jackmans that are living in Wexford at the moment and they all seem to be from the Hugginstown, Thomastown and Bennettsbridge areas of Kilkenny, i too have heard of a Scotland link but also of devon/cornwall and the Isle of Wight! i wonder if we could get all these names together and find a link, most numerous christian names in my branch are William, Walter and John.

Offline MikeD1967

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've been hesitating over whether to start a new thread or post on this one in the hope that previous posters might get notifications of a new post. I'll try here and start a new thread if nobody answers.

So i've just established that my g grandma was Ellen Jackman, born Wexford around 1868/69. I've got her birth year and birthplace from the 1901 and 1911 English censuses by which time she's living with my g granddad (John Dolan from Kings) in Salford. They were married in Salford in 1897 and I'm waiting on a copy of the marriage certificate.

The only record I can find of an Ellen Jackman born Wexford around that time is one born 1868 to Patrick Jackman and Anne Kenselah.

There's also an Ellen Jackman from Wexford who turns up age 13 living as a servant with a family in Warrington, Cheshire in 1881.

I've got nothing to prove one way or another whether these are the same Ellen Jackman as mine but I'd be intrigued to hear if Ellen, Patrick or Anne crop up in any of the genealogies you guys have, or if anyone could suggest a reason (I'm thinking the death of one or both parents) why a 13 year old girl should find herself in service so far from home..

Any help much appreciated.

Mike

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 22:45 BST (UK) »
She would be finished school by then so in employment??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 01:05 BST (UK) »
...my g grandma was Ellen Jackman, born Wexford around 1868/69. I've got her birth year and birthplace from the 1901 and 1911 English censuses by which time she's living with my g granddad (John Dolan from Kings) in Salford. They were married in Salford in 1897 and I'm waiting on a copy of the marriage certificate.

The only record I can find of an Ellen Jackman born Wexford around that time is one born 1868 to Patrick Jackman and Anne Kenselah.

There's also an Ellen Jackman from Wexford who turns up age 13 living as a servant with a family in Warrington, Cheshire in 1881.

[/quote]
Hi Mike,
She seems to have been a servant in 1881 and 1891. I agree her reason for working at that age would be because she had left school.
I have been researching Jackmans and Chapmans (interchangeable name due to how it is pronounced in Wexford) of Wexford for decades and agree that the only record that has shown up so far for an Ellen born around 1868 is the one to Patrick and Anne Kenselagh.  No other children have shown up (so far) for this couple which might mean they left Wexford - so perhaps went to the Manchester area.  Though at that time Irish people could be found more readily in Liverpool.
Certainly the most obvious next step is to get her marriage record, which hopefully should show her father's name.  When you have that do start a new topic with his name in the header.  Then I'll let you know if I have any more information on him.  If it shows as Patrick, then I'd strongly suggest you get a photocopy of the 1868 birth certificate from the GRO as it will show more detail.

Good hunting.
Chapman, Jackman, Roche, Whelan, Hanton, Dee, Stafford, Leary, McGrath, Murphy, White, Hayes, Shudall.

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 01:12 BST (UK) »
I should have asked you for her children's names.  If she followed the Irish naming pattern (which many did in Wexford) than can give a clue.  In particular you will be looking for the name of her second son.
Chapman, Jackman, Roche, Whelan, Hanton, Dee, Stafford, Leary, McGrath, Murphy, White, Hayes, Shudall.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 09:40 BST (UK) »

Offline MikeD1967

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 13:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies, and for the great aunt (if I've got that right) assuming Patrick and Anne prove to be Ellen's parents.

Ellen's children were John (my Granddad), Annie, Thomas and Peter in that order but she also lost a child at some point and I'm not sure where in the line he or she would have been.

Hatslip, you say Ellen seems to have been a servant in 1881 and 1891. Is there an 1891 record I've missed?

Offline MikeD1967

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 14:03 BST (UK) »
Replying to my own question I've found her in 1891 (Ancestry has Ellen as Ellin and Wexford as Wixford!). She's a 'General Servant Domestic' and is now in Broughton which is the part of Salford my Granddad was born so I think I can be pretty certain this is her.

I can understand her having to find work at 13. I'm struggling with the fact she may have come over to England at such a young age on her own though. Was that common does anyone know? I guess if I can establish for definite who her parents were then I could look for their death records to find out when and where they died.

Offline MikeD1967

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 14:11 BST (UK) »
I've now found something else potentially interesting (to me at least). Until receiving my Granddad's birth certificate this week I'd always believed Ellen's maiden name was Reddington as that was what my Dad had told me (he died a few months ago so I'm not able to clarify any of this with him).

What I've found is that in the 1881 census there's a Mary A Reddington living with her husband John and her mother, Ann Jackman in Widnes which is just down the road from Warrington where Ellen is living. All are Irish.

If dathai or anyone else is able to provide anything (i.e. a birth record for Mary A Jackman - I don't seem to be able to get records which give parents' names) which might reveal this Ann Jackman to be the former Anne Kenselah then that would help explain why my Dad was so wrong about his grandma's maiden name and would also mean that at least Ellen didn't have to come to England on her own.