Author Topic: Smithy in Altrincham  (Read 4221 times)

Offline littlej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Smithy in Altrincham
« on: Friday 08 September 06 19:28 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for information about a smithy in Altrincham. My g-grandfather Joseph Davenport either owned or worked for a smithy in the old 'Calais' area of Altrincham around 1880. This area is off Lloyd Street at the south end of Altrincham, on the border of Hale. It was a very poor area which was demolished in the late 1960's to make way for Sainsbury's supermarket. My grandparents lived there until 1956 when my grandfather died. They had a small front room shop - Murray's on Islington Street. I wonder if anyone remembers them!!      J
PEAKE & DAVENPORT (Devonport), Altrincham, Cheshire
MURRAY, Altrincham, Cheshire,  Aston, Staffs & North Meols, Lancs
LITTLE,  Kirkpatrick Juxta, Dumfriesshire & Gloucestershire
WILSON,  Malton, N. Yorks
HENDERSON, somewhere in Scotland (early days yet)

Offline NickT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Smithy in Altrincham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 October 06 03:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Davenports are linked to the Hollin(gs)worth family by marriage (if my memory serves me right), and the Hollin(gs)worth's were a well established family of Blacksmiths for generations in the Altrincham, Dunham and Hale area.

I even think that some of them lived in Islington Street at one time and may even have had a Smithy there.  If I get a chance I'll look into my records and see what I can find.

Nick
Taylor of Bramhall CHS (At rest 1577)
Parrott (Middlewich & Sandbach CHS (At rest 1675)
Hollin(gs)worth, Hale Barns, Bowdon, Dunham Massey, CHS. & Pensax, Worcs (At rest 1658)
Roylance of Handforth & Cheadle CHS (stuck at 1775).
Bailey/Bayley of Mobberley, CHS (stuck at 1809)
Miller of Mickleham & Charlwood, SRY (At rest 1684).

Offline littlej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 October 06 09:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info, I'd be really interested in anything you can find out.although I've a good idea where the smithy was, (I spent a lot of time in Islington Street as a child) I would like confirmation if poss.   J
PEAKE & DAVENPORT (Devonport), Altrincham, Cheshire
MURRAY, Altrincham, Cheshire,  Aston, Staffs & North Meols, Lancs
LITTLE,  Kirkpatrick Juxta, Dumfriesshire & Gloucestershire
WILSON,  Malton, N. Yorks
HENDERSON, somewhere in Scotland (early days yet)

Offline stevecleary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 June 13 00:21 BST (UK) »
I am linked to the Hollingworths who were blacksmiths in Hale and Bowdon. My paternal great-great grandfather was John Hulbert Hollingworth (1821-81) and I have Hollingworth data going back to the 17th century in Bowdon. Not found a link with the Davenports yet, but would be interested if anyone has further information on the Hollingworths.

Steve Cleary

Offline cnicol

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 September 15 16:15 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was George Stephen Davenport(born 1880) he lived on William street.

His father was Joseph Davenport, who was a blacksmith(born 1848). he lived on King street/Islington street, Calais Altrincham.

Joseph had a daughter Elizabeth who had a small front room shop.

====

i am looking for information on Elizabeth Davenport the mother of my great great grandfather Joseph, the blacksmith, she was born circa 1830.

Did she marry into Hollingsworth family? (circa 1850)