Author Topic: Iliffe?Townsend 1830-1870  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Louisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Iliffe?Townsend 1830-1870
« on: Monday 16 February 04 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I like this new site very much. Hope it brings me luck(and others of course). Am really stuck on my research with Wm and Ellen Iliffe. On the 1841/51 census they are living at 57 Shude Hill Manchester, Daughter Eliza christened 1854 Manch. cathedral. Can't find marriage record or death of William. Have Ellen's death certif. with John Townsend as witness living at Paradise Row Broughton Rd Salford.That was 1857. I want to establish that he was her father which would give her maiden name. Would appreciate any help. Regards Louisa.

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re:Iliffe?Townsend 1830-1870
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 February 04 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Dear Louisa,

I found the following mention of "Iliffe" in Lancashire.

Births Jun 1838
Iliffe  Edwin Davies     Salford  20 735

Marriages Sep 1840
ILIFFE  Thomas     Salford  20 653

Deaths Mar 1841
ILIFFE  William Thomas     Manchester  20 473

Deaths Jun 1843
ILIFFE  James     Salford  20 601

Births Sep 1845
Iliffe  Alfred     Salford  20 872

Deaths Dec 1845
ILIFFE  Joseph     Salford  20 613

Marriages Jun 1846
ILIFFE  Henry Jeremiah     Manchester  20 612

Births Dec 1847
ILIFFE  Catharine     Salford  20 837

Deaths Sep 1852
ILIFFE  Henry     Chorlton  8c 384
ILIFFE  Samuel     Chorlton  8c 389

Marriages Sep 1852
Iliffe  Eliza Ann     Manchester  8d 535

Births Jun 1862
ILIFFE  Eliza Ann     Salford  8d 83

Births Jun 1869
ILIFFE  Harry William     Ashton  8d 349

Marriages Sep 1872
Iliffe  Mary     Saddleworth  9a 336

As the surname is very unusual may this will help  :)

Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Louisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 February 04 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your Iliffe family details. I think the only one relevant is the marriage of Eliza Ann in 1852. But i'm intrigued to know how you turned up so many. My research around the Manchester area have produced very little. Can I ask what the numbers by each name relate to and is it possible for me to follow them up? Many years ago I visited Manchester and looked for Shude Hill, but no 57 where my ancestors lived was a car park! But there were tall tenement buildings close by and as he was listed as a hosier on the census, I guessed he had a shop in a similar one. Sadly, my research  has to be all on-line now. Thanks again for such a prompt response.

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 February 04 18:19 GMT (UK) »
I have taken the Information from Lancashire BMD and FreeBMD.

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=963

and

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=47;action=display;threadid=381
The numbers refer to the volume and the page number that the event has been registered.

You will able to apply for certificates from the Register Office in the area the event took place.

The Marriage of Eliza Ann was in Manchester you can find out how to order your certificate by following the link.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/registrars/famhist/index.htm

It is also worth checking the photograph archive. Here is a link to a photograph of Shude Hill in 1939 showing the Turks Tavern which I guess would be opposite your car park.
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/libraries/lsuimage/streetview/shudehill.htm
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Louisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 February 04 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for replies. I already have Eliza Iliffe's marriage certif. But it doesn't help with her mother's maiden name. Pretty sure its Townsend as Elizabeth Townsend aged 60 born Edinburgh was staying with WM and Ellen  and Eliza at 57 Shude Hill on1841 census. And as Ellen was down as born Edinburgh,sounds probable.
George Bramwell, Eliza's husband was staying at 67 Spear St on the marriage certif. in 1854.Is there any way of checking the census around that time.? tho' as he came from Eyam Derbys. and they subsequently lived in Eyam, I guess its unlikely. Oh for a Hercule Poiret!!!