Author Topic: Clark  (Read 4242 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Clark
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 January 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
In respect of Elizabeth Latimer, there is this possible tree on Family Search that someone has submitted: www.rootschat.com/links/01jaq/

The parents' names of that Elizabeth Latimer fit well with the children's names for William Clark and wife Elizabeth, if they followed Scottish naming pattern in some way.

Their second born daughter shows as Georgina Irving Clark and first born son as William John Clark.

A possible 1851 entry for this Latimer family:

William Latimer 52 joiner employing 3 men
Georgina Latimer 47 b. Middlebie, Dumfries
Andrew Latimer 24
George Latimer 22
William Latimer 21
Thomas Latimer 16
Elizabeth Latimer 14 b. Dornock
David Latimer 12
Irving Latimer 9
Anthony Latimer 6

Address: Dornock Village, Dumfries-shire

There is a lot of info generally available via google for both the connected Latimer and Irving families.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Can confirm that William Thompson Clark was born in Urr Kirckcudbrightshire his father was John Clark abt 1824 Rerwick Kirkcudbrightshire his mother was Elisabeth Broadfoot abt 1823 Urr Kirckcudbrightshire

William married a mary ?
and they had 3 children William A clark 1874
Elizabeth Clark 1876
Margaret Jane 1878

So, I have William Thompson Clark with his family in 1851 and 1861:

1851 Dalbeattie, Kirkcudbrightshire
John Clark, head, 25, agricultural labourer
Elizabeth Clark, wife, 24
William Thompson Clark, son, 4
Antony Broadfoot Clark, son, 2
Mary Clark, daughter, 1 month

1861 Buittle, Kirkcudbrightshire
John Clark, head, 35, ploughman
Elizabeth Clark, wife 35
William S Clark (sic), son 14
Antony B Clark, son 12
Mary Clark, daughter, 10
Alexander Clark, son, 8
Margaret P Clark, daughter, 5
Elisabeth M Clark, daughter, 3
Janet S Clark, daughter, 1

He's not with the family in 1871 - John and Elizabeth are in Dalbeattie with daughter Margaret, aged 15 and two younger children: Marion, aged 10 and Michael, aged 2

I can then see William Thompson again in Kirkdale, Lancashire in 1881:

1881 Kirkdale, Lancashire
Willm T Clarke, head, 34
Mary Clarke, wife, 33
Willm A Clarke, son, 7
Margt J Clarke, daughter, 3

And again in 1891:

1891 Kirkdale
William T Clarke, head, 43, labourer
Mary Clarke, wife, 48
William Clarke, son, 17
Margaret Clarke, daughter, 13

I'm guessing the other daughter, Elizabeth Ann, must have died in infancy, as she doesn't appear with the family in any of the censuses.

By 1901, wife Mary must be dead, and William Thompson Clark with his son and family:

1901 Kirkdale
William A Clark, head, 27
Mary E Clark, wife, 25
Elizabeth Clark, daughter, 4
Mary A Clark, daughter, 2
Ada M Clark, daughter, 8 months
William T Clark, father, 54

The final sight I have of him is in 1911, where he's boarding in Kirkdale, aged 66, widowed - dock labourer.

So, can't easily see him in 1871 - he doesn't appear to be in Kirkdale, and nor does he appear to be in Scotland - perhaps somewhere in between?

Wife Mary appears as being born in Burnley from the census information, so I think it's more likely they married in England than Scotland - but I can't see an obvious marriage for them yet.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
In respect of Elizabeth Latimer, there is this possible tree on Family Search that someone has submitted: www.rootschat.com/links/01jaq/
Interestingly, the header on that link says, "1-20 of 218,666 results for
Name: latimer
Birth: scotland
Father: william
Mother: georgina irving"
I am inclined to doubt that Georgina Irving had 218,000+ children  ;)
It's a great pity that the FS software is apparently unable to amalgamate what is plainly an excessive number of duplicate listings.

The golden rule is, never believe anything you find online unless it is an image of an original document. Use it as a finding aid to get and check original records for yourself.

In this case, I think Step 1 is to get a copy of the birth certificate of one of the children of William and Elizabeth Clark to confirm for certain that her surname was in fact Latimer.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cbxchop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks  MonicaL
the William and Elizabeth you talk about, i thiought this was my family untill i found William Alexander birth record
and found him and his two sisters all had a mother called Mary
Mary had died by the 1911 cenuses as he living with with his son faher in law at 41 smith street Kirkdale, this is when i found out where in scotland he was from.
as far as i can tell he always lived in the north of Liverpool and not the south of liverpool
so am unsure if he met and married Mary in scotland or on the way to liverpool or liverpool its self
only time will tell, at one point William thompson was down as william j rather than william but you no how census can get things wrong.
William Alexander married Mary Ellen Sefton and had 3 daughters 1 son one of his daughters was my gran the son we think died early but unsure of the age.
my gran Ada May Clark married Gorege Huddart or Hudder as recorded on there marrage
the Huddarts and the Clarks never seemed to like talking about the past this carried on even to my mum her sister and two brothers even working back can be a problem with them one of the few things i ever got out of my mum was the plolice where always at the house but could never findout why and still cant find any records to show any courtcases with any of them in
jimi
langan, huddart.huddert,hudder,clark,black,dunne,quinn,

Offline cbxchop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
this is my line thanks ruthhelen you have that right down the years thanks again
Can confirm that William Thompson Clark was born in Urr Kirckcudbrightshire his father was John Clark abt 1824 Rerwick Kirkcudbrightshire his mother was Elisabeth Broadfoot abt 1823 Urr Kirckcudbrightshire

William married a mary ?
and they had 3 children William A clark 1874
Elizabeth Clark 1876
Margaret Jane 1878

So, I have William Thompson Clark with his family in 1851 and 1861:

1851 Dalbeattie, Kirkcudbrightshire
John Clark, head, 25, agricultural labourer
Elizabeth Clark, wife, 24
William Thompson Clark, son, 4
Antony Broadfoot Clark, son, 2
Mary Clark, daughter, 1 month

1861 Buittle, Kirkcudbrightshire
John Clark, head, 35, ploughman
Elizabeth Clark, wife 35
William S Clark (sic), son 14
Antony B Clark, son 12
Mary Clark, daughter, 10
Alexander Clark, son, 8
Margaret P Clark, daughter, 5
Elisabeth M Clark, daughter, 3
Janet S Clark, daughter, 1

He's not with the family in 1871 - John and Elizabeth are in Dalbeattie with daughter Margaret, aged 15 and two younger children: Marion, aged 10 and Michael, aged 2

I can then see William Thompson again in Kirkdale, Lancashire in 1881:

1881 Kirkdale, Lancashire
Willm T Clarke, head, 34
Mary Clarke, wife, 33
Willm A Clarke, son, 7
Margt J Clarke, daughter, 3

And again in 1891:

1891 Kirkdale
William T Clarke, head, 43, labourer
Mary Clarke, wife, 48
William Clarke, son, 17
Margaret Clarke, daughter, 13

I'm guessing the other daughter, Elizabeth Ann, must have died in infancy, as she doesn't appear with the family in any of the censuses.

By 1901, wife Mary must be dead, and William Thompson Clark with his son and family:

1901 Kirkdale
William A Clark, head, 27
Mary E Clark, wife, 25
Elizabeth Clark, daughter, 4
Mary A Clark, daughter, 2
Ada M Clark, daughter, 8 months
William T Clark, father, 54

The final sight I have of him is in 1911, where he's boarding in Kirkdale, aged 66, widowed - dock labourer.

So, can't easily see him in 1871 - he doesn't appear to be in Kirkdale, and nor does he appear to be in Scotland - perhaps somewhere in between?

Wife Mary appears as being born in Burnley from the census information, so I think it's more likely they married in England than Scotland - but I can't see an obvious marriage for them yet.

Ruth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank jimi. Looks like Ruth has the family well mapped above  :)

To be sure where you are going next, you would be best to try and find William and Mary's marriage entry to confirm their fathers' names.

Monica

Offline cbxchop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 23:04 GMT (UK) »
you that right Monica ruth has nailed them down
rejoined ancestry
and now not only got his mum and dad but also his great granddad and mother plus a few other member of the family
William thomson well the thomson seems to the maiden name of his grandmother maggy Thomson he seems to have other fmaily members with the middle name Thomson as well.
just need to through them all now and check them, upto now i have family in kirkculdbrightshire up to the 1600s
thank you all for help ive been stuck on William Thomson and family for over 16 years if not longer
thanks again
jimi

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 12:54 GMT (UK) »
jimi,

I think this is the marriage for William and Mary:

William Clark and Mary Bellamy: 2nd Qrt 1873 in West Derby. Vol. 8b/pg. 628

The children's births:

William Alexander Clark: S Qrt 1874 in Liverpool. Vol. 8b/ pg. 54...mother's maiden name BELLAMY
Elizabeth Ann Clark: 4th Qrt 1875 in West Derby. Vol 8b/pg. 325...mother's maiden name BELLAMY
Margaret Jane Clark: 2nd Qrt 1877 in West Derby. Vol. 8b/pg. 456...mother's maiden name BELLAMY

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Got to stop now as I am running late....again  ::)

There is a birth entry that might fit for Mary Bellamy in Burnley: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:26YW-L1J

Monica