Author Topic: Husbands in Kenmare  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Husbands in Kenmare
« on: Monday 25 September 06 22:18 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone is researching people with the surname Husbands (or Husband) in Kenmare.

It's an unusual name for the area, & I haven't come up with much in my own research.  I've found a few records on the IGI, & that's about it.

My great-great grandmother was Anna Husbands, born about 1853.  She was the daughter of Charles Husbands & Mary Coffey.  Annie was living in Sneem when she married Michael Sullivan in 1872.  Annie & Michael immigrated to the U.S. in 1883 & settled in Quincy, Massachusetts.

I've not been able to find anything thus far about Annie's parents or any possible siblings.
CAMPBELL (Balleghan), DOUGLAS(S) (Carrowhugh) - Lower Moville, Co. Donegal
HUSBAND(S) (Sneem), SULLIVAN (Kenmare) - Kenmare, Co. Kerry
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Husbands in Kenmare
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 00:33 BST (UK) »

The Griffiths Valuation Index has the following for the name
Husband in Kerry. [see below]

It pays to keep in mind that any parish records for a marriage
and subsequent issues were generally recorded in the parish
of the bride/mother, which may be different to that of the
husband/father

HUSBAND, Charles
County:      Kerry
Parish:      Killarney

There are a number of Coffey listed in Killarney so it is more
than likely that they are both from the same parish.

You can try writing a snail mail to the PP at Killarney, but you
will probably be refered to the Kerry Heritage Centre for paid
research.

Try also doing a Google search on the above location!.

Other Husband names in the GV for Kenmare are George and
Honoria, and for Templenoe a James, Thomas & William.

Mike.

Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Husbands in Kenmare
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 00:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I had read your message yesterday, but was unable to respond until now.

I actually had seen the Husbands (& Coffeys) on Griffith's for Kerry.  My understanding of Griffith's is that it doesn't list all heads of family.  I've read that Charles is a common name among the Husbands (as I have seen a little info on the Killarney Husbands), so I'm reluctant to assume the one in Killarney is mine (although I believe he is at least related).  My Annie's father-in-law is not listed on Griffith's, so I would think it's possible her father wasn't either.

I'm currently just wondering if anyone has already been researching the Husbands in Kenmare.  Thus far, the only Irish records I've found regarding Annie have her living in Kenmare -- her marriage & births of 3 children.  I do plan on writing to Ireland again for records, hopefully later this year, but can't afford to at the moment.  I understand even the parishes expect some form of payment in Ireland -- I had read a donation of 25 Euros was common.  In the U.S. (at least where I'm from) they only seem to accept the cost of postage.
CAMPBELL (Balleghan), DOUGLAS(S) (Carrowhugh) - Lower Moville, Co. Donegal
HUSBAND(S) (Sneem), SULLIVAN (Kenmare) - Kenmare, Co. Kerry
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.