Author Topic: ww2 raf medals  (Read 3018 times)

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ww2 raf medals
« on: Tuesday 26 September 06 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi folks
where can I search to see if someone got medals in the RAf ww2?
Thanks
Mary
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: ww2 raf medals
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

Currently only Merchant Seamen's medal records are online at the National Archives.  This is a quote from one of their research guides on RAF WW2 records:

For campaign medal enquiries, write to the Ministry of Defence Medal Office, Building 250, RAF Innsworth, Gloucester GL3 1HW, Telephone number: 0141 224 3600. Recommendations for gallantry awards are in AIR 2 Code B 30, but there is no index to them and they can be difficult to find without the Ministry of Defence file reference. To get this, write to the Ministry of Defence Medal Office at the address above.

Citations for gallantry awards (and for awards made in peacetime) were published in the London Gazette (ZJ 1 ).

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill
Thank you very much.
I've just had word back today about my mum's fiance who died in a north Atlantic convoy - merchant navy. Had to write to Cardiff for that. But at least it was email. (he got 3 medals).
Now it is a friend of hers that she would like to know about. Found his memorial thing on cwgc. so at least now I have rank, number etc.
I'll try and get some joy with this one too. In her mid eighties it gives mum a few crumbs of comfort and some sort of conclusion to her tragic loss.
best wsihes
Mary
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline annsa

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 06 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you post a query with his name and service number if you know it, on the General Questions message board at:

www.rafcommands.com

One of the researchers that use that board may be able to help you. They're very helpful so you should get some info IF he was awarded a medal for gallantry or something like the AFC.

Regards,

Ann Sadler