Author Topic: quick question confused  (Read 1995 times)

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • looking into the past.lets you see the future
    • View Profile
quick question confused
« on: Thursday 28 September 06 13:39 BST (UK) »
hi ,i had sent away for the birth cert of my gr grandad in 1876.
i had the month the vol and the page no.
i know who his father is and his mams first name.
i got this info from kind help on rootschat and then by looking myself on 1837 and ancestery.
i got a refund today for £4 stateing that they couldent find the entry, :o
surly they couldent all be wrong could they.
any veiws at all as to why this has happened please.
on each census report my gr grandads parents have been the same.
also father is corect on gr grandas wedding cert.
im stuck as to where to turn next
thank you for reading
dwalin

harris , penrose,jose.davison.layton.leighton.summerson.bennet.clasper.wallett.cadwallader.johnson.jobling.bell (cook?)      />craig.stokoe.marshall.chalmers.white.bainbridge.waite.trevena.trenwith.polkinghorn.dixon.jopling.powell.ivey.greenhow
lloyd

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: quick question confused
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 September 06 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Dwalin

Did you say what the mother & father's names were?  Maybe they didn't match, either because it truly is the wrong person born at the same time in the same place, or because there was a second marriage or nickname.

Why not try contacting the local registrar for further information?  They can be very helpful.

I try to give as little info as possible when applying for certs (the opposite to asking for help on RC!)

I hope you get it sorted!

kind regards Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 September 06 14:34 BST (UK) »
thank you i think you might be right.
i have just sent for his brothers cert
so i will wait to see if this one comes back
he has a more unusual name of septimus martin bell
so i can hope .
dwalin
harris , penrose,jose.davison.layton.leighton.summerson.bennet.clasper.wallett.cadwallader.johnson.jobling.bell (cook?)      />craig.stokoe.marshall.chalmers.white.bainbridge.waite.trevena.trenwith.polkinghorn.dixon.jopling.powell.ivey.greenhow
lloyd

Offline hilbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sawyer, Day, Richardson, Blake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 September 06 09:13 BST (UK) »
I try to give as little info as possible when applying for certs (the opposite to asking for help on RC!)

Yes, I only give the information that the index indicates.
Additional information can mean you don't get the cert. because the information doesn't quite match.

I have also been told that a certificate didn't exist when I had the reference from the index correct.
I sent them an e-mail asking them to check the index as it was definately there when I looked at the scan.
They double checked for me and found the reference (which the first person had missed) and sent me the certificate I'd asked for.  :D

So you might like to give that a go Dwalin, you never know.

Good luck
Hilary
Alworthy, Blake, Burt, Clulow, Cooper, Davies, Day, De Hove/Van Hove, Farrell, Groves, Jenkins, Johnson, Jupp, Lake, Nockles, Richardson, Sawyer, Smith, Stubbings, Williamson

<br />Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 September 06 10:43 BST (UK) »
thank you i think i just might
its worth a go
and i will also follow the advice of putting as little on as possible in future.
thank you dwalin ;D
lloyd