Author Topic: complete beginner, any help?  (Read 12839 times)

Offline ROGibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
complete beginner, any help?
« on: Tuesday 03 October 06 21:22 BST (UK) »
ok I'm a complete beginner at this. I have the name of my grandmothers father, Fredrick (Fred) Walker, and his daughter was Elsie Walker who married Joseph Gibson.

Could anybody have a look at the 1901 census and see if anything matches..

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: complete beginner, any help?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, and welcome to Rootschat!

Do you have any more details to help us search?  When and where was Elsie born, for instance?  Any idea of Frederick's occupation?  I can see 7 or 8 possibilities in 1901, so we need to tie it down a little...  8)

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ROGibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 21:29 BST (UK) »
I am almost certain Fredrick worked with horses at some point (if that helps :S) but I am not sure of Elsie's date of birth. I will gather some more information from relatives and post again soon.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi RO

Welcome to roots chat - definitely a good place for beginners & everyone else  ;D

It will be easier to find your folks on the census if you have a little more information - Do you know an approx age of your folks in 1901. Was Elsie married before or after 1901 & do you know whereabouts in England would they have come from?

You can search the 1901 indexes yourself for no charge (but not look at the images) at the national archives or ancestry

http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/

Meanwhile if you are still online and can provide any information on the above - you will find many folks willing to look

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ROGibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 21:40 BST (UK) »
OK all I have at the minute is:

My great grandfather on my grandmother's side, Fredrick/Frederick Walker, worked as a farm labourer. Awaiting more details about him and his family.

My great grandfather on my grandfather's side, Joseph Gibson, a general horse dealer, originated from the Cumbria area. Married to Mary Gibson (details unknown). Suspected travellers.

All born late 19th C, early 20th C...

Offline subee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi and Welcome RO,

the guys on here are the best and you will receive all the help we can give - even now I expect there are people searching away on your behalf!  ::)  :D

good luck with your search

subee x
Futter Norfolk
Hendry Norfolk
Marshall Norfolk
Riches Norfolk
Dighton Huntingdon

Offline ROGibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 21:54 BST (UK) »
thanks! it's reassuring. i was directed to this site because i was told that the people here are helpful =)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 22:18 BST (UK) »
Looking in Cumberland (I assume that's Cumbria - coming from Australia it is not one of the counties I know very well)

there are 26 Joseph Gibsons transcribed as such. Given the dates
there is son of Joseph & Margaret 1 born Wigtown
son of Joseph and Jane 8 - born Carlisle
son of Edward and isabella 9 born Home East Waver
son of Ellen 1 born workington

and a few more possibilities, so some more detail may be needed

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ROGibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi thankyou very much for your help!

I have been doing a little digging in the 1901 census myself and seemed to have found some info that fits the bill.

A family of four, Gibson, living I presume in Penrith, Cumberland (yes that's Cumbria lol) as all but the father was born there.

The youngest son Frederick Joseph (apart from sharing the same names as my father, his grandfather) also shares the same name as his father in the household, Joseph. It is suspected that they were travellers working in the horse trade and the name Joseph has been passed down through the family.

The other's in the household are another son called Arthur and the mother Clara.

I would be grateful if somebody could find out the occupation of the father Joseph in order to investigate the possibility that he could be (my first!) discvoery lol