Author Topic: Baptism big bucks?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Baptism big bucks?
« on: Tuesday 10 October 06 05:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Looking at a Bedfordshire family, it seems the parents had the children christened in pairs. Two in 1854 and two in 1859. The kids were 10, 12, 12 and 14 years old, way out of the norm. The eldest child doesn't seem to have been christened at all.

So I'm wondering, was there a fee for christening? Would parents save money "doing" them two at a time? They spent a couple of years in a workhouse and the father seems to have been a bit of a scoundrel, so the family may have been pretty strapped much of the time.

Any thoughts? Thanks,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism big bucks?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 08:36 BST (UK) »
In some years there was a small charge on christenings, but usually 'paupers' went free anyway.  It may simply have been that the family did not normally attend church, and the christenings happened in connection to entries into the workhouse or charity from the church combined with encouragement  Were they Church of England christenings or nonconformists?

http://www.gober.net/victorian/reports/religion.html - has a bit on this.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism big bucks?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi jorose,

It was C of E christening. Considering the rest of the family it's no surprise they wouldn't darken the door of a church if they could help it  :)

What a very enlightening article, though. I have bookmarked it and will go back and have a much closer look later. Many thanks for pointing me to it.

Best,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull