Author Topic: Asylum in Cottingham?  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Sgt_Tollers

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Irene Scarlett 1897 - 1956
    • View Profile
Asylum in Cottingham?
« on: Saturday 14 October 06 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I was on here, so it's time to re-engage my love for family history!

I have just found out that my great great great grandfather died in an asylum in Cottingham. I am aware that one of the parts of what is now the Halls of Residence for the University of Hull used to be an asylum, but can anyone tell me if there were anymore?

Would appreciate any response that anyone could provide me with.

Thank you for your time!

Best wishes,
Sgt Tollers
Tollerfield (All),Moy (Norfolk and Hull), Oxborrow,Ratcliffe,Scarlett,Simpson (Suffolk),Davies,Lewis (Carmarthen),Hennessy (Bermondsey and Ireland), Hand Smyth (London and Ireland),Fenton,Warrener (Yorkshire) :).

Offline cooperman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Asylum in Cottingham?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 October 06 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My Grt Grandfather died in the Hull City Mental Hospital Willerby which is adjacent to Cottingham.
As I was born in Cottingham I remember it very well as a young lad.

Graham
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"<br /><br />Cooper: Yorkshire<br />Bolton : Oxford<br />Frampton: Kent<br />Smoker: Kent<br />Starling : Norfolk & Kent<br />Overton :Lincolnshire<br />Browne : Norfolk & Kent<br />Fowler: Lincolnshire

Offline asenath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 October 06 08:30 GMT (UK) »
The Asylum in that area was situated in the area now recognised as Willerby. However when it was open in it's "heyday" it was in Cottingham. It was later named the De La Pole Hospital and up unitl approx 10 years ago was still open. The site is now  known as Willerby Business park. Many of the orginal buildings are now gone but a couple still remain and are home to the Humber Mental Health NHS Trust headquarters. The site is open to the public and so you could have a stroll through if the fancy took you!

Offline Holbrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The old De La Pole Hospital is long gone but the Hospital did have it's own cemetery this is still there its at the rear of the business park sadly there is not many headstones, the hospital also had its own church this is also still there and is now up and running as a crematorium, hope this is of help regards John.

Offline ros0027

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 October 13 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The asylum that you're referring to was a private hospital in the centre of cottingham.  As you said, it is now one of the halls of residence - Needler Hall. I don't know if you know the layout of cottingham but Needler hall is on the corner of Northgate and King street opposite the cross keys pub, north of the village centre.

Offline Rachel12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 November 16 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am currently a student staying at Needler Hall in cottingham. This is due to our original accommodation not being built yet and this is temporary. I would love to know more about needler hall. We are the last people ever to stay here, and I am fascinated in the history. How the Needler family left the house as this is listed building and when and why the old block was build onto the side of the house ? As this is where I am currently staying. I would love to know when the old block was built and where the residents for the asylum where they stayed was this in the old wing of the building. How each new bulking has developed on the orginal house. I can't believe this will no longer be accommodation as this is in an ideal place for student to live with everything you need in cottingham a minute walk away and on a regular bus route. I will be sad to see the building go as this would be perfect for years to come . I feel privileged being about to stay here and as I say would love to find out a load more information.

Thank you very much
Rachel12

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 November 16 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachael and welcome to Rootschat....

Here is some info on Needler Hall:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Needler_Hall

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Needler's

Hull Lunatic Asylum (later De La Pole Hospital)
A private asylum was established in Boteler Street (now Gibson Street, Cannon Street) in 1814 by Dr. John Anderson and a surgeon Mr. Ellis. About 1925 the proprietors took over, for female patients, an asylum at Summergangs Hall in Holderness Road. Both these establishments were replaced c. 1838 when new premises were built in Asylum Lane (later Argyle Street), Anlaby Road. In 1883 a new asylum was opened near Cottingham. It was the 74 acre De La Pole Farm which was designed by Smith and Brodrick. A nurse’s home was built in 1934 and an admission block in 1937.

Hope this helps.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU