Author Topic: What are Marriage Bonds?  (Read 14239 times)

Offline achurchill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
What are Marriage Bonds?
« on: Thursday 11 November 04 15:43 GMT (UK) »
I came across some listings for ancestors under Marriage Bonds. What exactly were these? How did people typically marry - in church, registry office, etc? I am finding it a bit confusing.
Newns, Woollam, Morris, Foulkes, Roberts, Selman, Purvis, Morrison, Ferguson, Forrester, Bullis, Churchill

Offline Paul J Ballard

• RootsChat Member
  • www.paul-ballard.com for UK Ballard Genealogy
    • View Profile
Re: What are Marriage Bonds?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 04 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Before 1837 everyone married in a Church as there were no Register Offices until then. Marriage bonds and allegations are, in effect, 'application forms' for persons wishing to be married by special licence. Most marriages could only take place if:

a) banns were 'published' in the parish church on 3 consecutive weeks
or
b) a couple had a special licence granted by the appropriate ecclesiastical authority.

They were called Bonds because they needed a "Bondsman" who would pay a fine if the couple failed to marry.

Most couples were married after the calling of banns and many of the Banns registers for churches still exist and often provide details of marriages in other Parishes that you might miss otherwise.
Ballard in UK all locations and dates.
Other lines of interest - Wills, Bishop, Samuels, Dunnell, Easey, Wes(t)comb(e), Richarson, Jarvis, Mathews, Stoneham, Jarvis, Ingram, Edwards, Catt, Moore, Lintott, Tee, Lee, Phillips, Davies, Drew, and a few more!

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 November 04 09:09 GMT (UK) »
This subject has come up before and there seems to be a great deal of confusion about it. Since marriage licence bonds are something that many people will encounter as they search for pre-1837 marriage records, I thought this might be a good time for a more detailed explanation.

As Paul has explained, marriages were either by banns or by licence. The great majority of marriages were by banns. The couple's intention to marry was announced on three Sundays in their
parish church or churches---to allow anyone knowing of a "just impediment" to declare it.

Licences were issued by Church authorities and enabled people to marry immediately, without banns and in a church other than their parish church, if they so wished.

People chose to be married by licence for many reasons:
1) It was quicker, no time for the village to gossip, if there was something socially embarrassing about it. If they were in a hurry for any reason, the marriage could take place immediately, even in the religious seasons of prohibition (Lent, Advent,etc.)
2)the bridegroom might be likely to be suddenly called away ( a soldier or sailor)
3)the case a minor, requiring parental consent,  (apparently they could marry by banns, but usually it was by licence).
4) either bride or bridegroom was only a temporary resident, living far from their home parish which would make it difficult to have banns read.
5) According to most authorities on the subject, the most common reason for marriage by licence(at least in the late 18th and 19th century was that it was the preferred way of the upper classes(more dignified and private). Because the upper- class did it, the aspiring lower middle-class did it too.

Before a marriage could be issued by Church authorities, it was necessary for the couple to make an allegation, a declaration on oath of their freedom to marry, i.e. they were of full age or if not had parental consent and were single or widowed. Two or more bondsmen were required to witness this allegation. Bondsmen would be required to pay a fine if any part of the allegation proved to be false. The bondsmen were often relatives or friends of the couple.
Sometimes the bridegroom's employer or another respected person such as a vicar or local businessman would act as bondsman.

As far as I know there was no fine imposed if the couple did not go through with the marriage. In fact is was not really all that rare for people to have second thoughts or give in to parents who did not approve. I know that it happened in my family---twice! :o

Marriage Licence Bonds give the names of the couple, age (sometimes), occupation, place of residence and place of birth. They do not include birth dates or any information about parents except in the case of minors. Bonds were kept by the archdeaconry or diocese and many have survived.

If church registers have not survived, bonds are sometimes the only record of a marriage. Not many licences have survived. After being
presented to the vicar who was to perform the marriage, they were discarded or taken home by the happy couple.

I hope this helps to clarify the issue to some extent and that I did not leave out something important in my haste.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationararchives.gov.uk

Current obsessions:
OXF: Rose of Wheatley and Holton 1700s
BRK: Stevenson of East Hanney 1600-1880s
BKM: Woodman of Wing
DEV: Youlden of Whimple
SOM: Smith, Gudge, Joy and Tett of Crewkerne

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 November 04 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have a slightly different query on the subject of bans.  One of my guys in early C19th moved about a bit, being a ploughman in Scotland.  I have found a note of bans being read in two parishes, ie bride and groom, but no note of the marriage itself.  Is it possible that they were married the same day the third bans were read?
Thanks
Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 01:24 GMT (UK) »
hi Lesley,

Did you get an answer for this query?

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Serendipity!

I was about to ask this question, and here are detailed explanations!

Thanks for this excellent material, Paul and Carmela!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 March 06 13:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information contained in this thread - very useful.

I have a quick query on this topic - if anyone can help - much appreciated  :)

I have found record of a marriage bond for David Jones (Carpenter) to Mary Moore Williams at St Marys Brecon - July 26th 1817.

When I checked the register, I found that they were "..married by licence with consent of friends.."

Re "with consent of friends"

- Does this mean both sets of parents were deceased? OR
- Did either or both sets of parents refuse permission/disapprove of the marriage?

- Does the fact that they were married with "consent of friends" mean they were under age??

Any guidance much appreciated
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greenwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Where would I find the original of a marriage bond, issued for a marriage in Westminster in 1788? The Guildhall Library perhaps?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Scottish marriages frequently didn't take place in the kirk. Marriage is not a sacrament in the Church of Scotland or the Free churches. The Banns were called in church but the manse or brides house was generally utilised for the wedding.

Skoosh.