Author Topic: CHURL(E)Y Family  (Read 7519 times)

Offline Dav

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CHURL(E)Y Family
« on: Sunday 29 October 06 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello is anyone researching the Churley families from the Culmstock and Uffculme areas from around the 1650s to the 1760s there seems to be quite a few of them and I am having a devil of a time ( but also a lot of fun ) in sorting them all out.
Thanks Dav
McCormick Glasgow
Docherty Glasgow
Stafford Renfrewshire
Ranachan/Rannachan  Renfrewshire/Glasgow
Elliot/Elliott Glasgow Falkirk Dumfries
Lowrie/Laurie Renfrewshire Glasgow
Nimmo Glasgow Alloa
Grant Bewickshire
Thomson Glasgow
McKiernan Cavan Glasgow
Shannon Glasgow
Mullan Glasgow
White Rothsay Glasgow
Manley Hemyock Uffculme Sidbury
Stratton Bristol

Offline Tiggersmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CHURL(E)Y Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 December 06 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dav, I have been researching a Jane Baker 1807 Culmstock who married a Richard Quick in Tiverton in 1797.  I have found who I believe to be Jane's parents and they are an Elizabeth Churly 1799 Uffculme, who married a Robert Baker in Culmstock in 1799.  This led me to Elizabeth's parents being Henry Churly 1738 Uffculme and Mary ?.   All this has yet to be confirmed one way or the other, but I am wondering if this ties in with your Churly's of Uffculme in any way?
Regards  :D
Jacky

Offline Dav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 February 07 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jacky
sorry in taking so long in replying
the Henry Churley you mention may be related to my Churley's but it would be very distant.
It seems your Henry Churley b 1738 is the son of George Churley and Mary Farr ( George and Mary were first cousins ) George Churley was born around 1712 and he was the son of Grace Churley, but I don't know who his father was, except that he was a Churley also.
Grace Churley was b around 1690 and died sometime before 1741 she was the daughter of a Nicholas Churley who would have been born about 1660 and died in 1741 or there abouts.
This Nicholas had 2 dau namely Grace and Elizabeth both dec by 1741, I don't know if he had any sons, if he did they must have died young before they could get married, as Nicholas only makes provisions for his grandchildren ( children of his 2 deceased daughters ) in his will written in 1741.
Grace as I said married a Churley ( possibly a George but this purely Guess work ) and had 5 children that I know namely George, Nicholas, Urial, Joan and Grace ( not necessarily in right order.
Elizabeth married John Farr and had Mary, Nicholas, John and a Grace ( also not necessarily in right order )
Of Grace Churley's Children George married Mary Farr, Nicholas Married Ann Clarke and died about 1746, Urial seemed to be unmarried and died about 1749, Joan married Edward Hitchcocke and was deceased by 1749 and Grace was spinster and she died about 1755.
In her will she mentions Edward Hitchcocke who she described as her brother in law and Edward Manley ( my ancestor ) as a kinsman, which I believe means related but distant maybe a second cousin or something.
Edward Manley was born 1722 at Hemyock and was a younger child or Robert Manley and a Joan Churley who would have been born sometime in the late 1670s or early 1680s her and Robert Manley married in 1700 she was described as being from Uffculme.
She was the dau of a Henry Churley who died sometime between 1728 and 1741, I am not sure if was related to Nicholas Churley, but he may have been related even if it was by marriage only.
There also John Churley living in the area also of the same vintage as Henry and Nicholas, John had son called Urial who married Henry's dau Patience, also a George Churley runniing around at the same time to add to the confusion.
In fact the names George, Nicholas and Urial ( Grace and Joan for the girls ) seem very common names amongst the Churley's/Churly's throw in some Henry's and John's for good measure.
If you google "Nicholas Churly" you will find an artical written by Clement Cawthorne? on the Churley's of the  Uffculme area there are some mistakes but I think this was done over 30 years ago and he may not have had access to all the info that is around today, but it is well worth reading and has a lot of good info.
Hope I haven't rambled on too long
Dav
McCormick Glasgow
Docherty Glasgow
Stafford Renfrewshire
Nimmo Glasgow Alloa
Grant Bewickshire
Thomson Glasgow
McKiernan Cavan Glasgow
Shannon Glasgow
Mullan Glasgow
White Rothsay Glasgow
Stratton Bristol

Offline Tiggersmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 February 07 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dav, thank you so much for all the info.  The Churleys do seem a complicated lot and I will have to spend time trying to work them all out.  You really have done some excellent research, and I am most grateful for the info.  I didn't realise there were so many Churleys in Uffculme  :o
Regards
Jacky

Offline Jane MB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 19:26 GMT (UK) »
hello Dav

In your message you say you are related to Edward Manley (b 1722 Hemyock).

I too have many ancesters in Hemyock.

Would your Edward be an ancester of John Manley who married Betty Clist 25th June,1794 in Hemyock  and had about 11 children all born Hemyock?

please let me know!!
Jane
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mike123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 March 11 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dav

I have Edward Manley  son of Edward married to Joan Churley in Hemyock in 1742
they had 3 children Edward b 1745 Uffculme, Joan b1746 and I believe Henry Churley Manley.
Joan was married to Thomas Darch in Taunton 1761 -  whose daughter married Jonathan Hall

I am trying to tie these Manleys in with Robert Manley who married Sarah Hall in Taunton about 1750 and with earlier connections to Jonathan and Samuel Hall. I am intrigued by your earlier marriage of a Robert Manley and Joan Churley and wonder if you can give me any more details

Many Thanks
Mike

Offline mike123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dav

Sorry but I have now found Edward Manleys will  - he died 1784 and although he had a wife and daughter both Joan, this I now know is not the Joan that married Thomas Darch in 1761.  I do suspect though that the Joan I am looking for is a relative of his and likely to be one of his brothers daughters -  Edward had a nephew James a surgeon in Taunton and it might be him that is mentioned in some of our other deeds Do you know of any of Edwards siblings by any chance?

Thanks Mike

Offline Dav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 June 11 04:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike sorry for taking so long in getting back to you.
The Robert Manley who married Sarah Hall was the eldest son of Henry Manley and Joan Gervis, Henry Manley was an elder Brother to Edward Manley (nearly 18 years older ).
Henry Manley had that I know of namely

1. Ann      bap 14/02/1726 bur 01/11/1798 unmarried
2. Robert   bap 22/11/1727 d     circa  1761
3. Henry      bap 22/05/1729 d     pre    1775
4. Rev William   bap 20/05/1731 bur 04/01/1775
5. Mary      bap 23/11/1732
6. James      bap 08/07/1734 bur 18/10/1797
7. Elizabeth   b  circa     1736 bur 08/04/1766 unmarried
8. Joan       b  circa     1738 bur
McCormick Glasgow
Docherty Glasgow
Stafford Renfrewshire
Nimmo Glasgow Alloa
Grant Bewickshire
Thomson Glasgow
McKiernan Cavan Glasgow
Shannon Glasgow
Mullan Glasgow
White Rothsay Glasgow
Stratton Bristol

Offline Dav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 June 11 05:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike sorry for taking so long in getting back to you.
The Robert Manley who married Sarah Hall was the eldest son of Henry Manley and Joan Gervis, Henry Manley was an elder Brother to Edward Manley (nearly 18 years older ).
Henry Manley had eight children that I know of namely

1. Ann      bap 14/02/1726 bur 01/11/1798 unmarried
2. Robert                   bap 22/11/1727 d     circa  1761
3. Henry      bap 22/05/1729 d     pre    1775
4. Rev William   bap 20/05/1731 bur 04/01/1775
5. Mary      bap 23/11/1732
6. James      bap 08/07/1734 bur 18/10/1797
7. Elizabeth   b  circa     1736 bur 08/04/1766 unmarried
8. Joan       b  circa     1738 bur

Henry Manley's younger dau Joan married Thomas Darch in 1761 he was Lieut- Col in the Somerset Militia.
I think they went to the USA in the late 1700s or early 1800s
Robert Manley married Sarah Hall in 1751 and had least two children that I know of namely Robert who died young and Sarah who married a Richard Strong in 1773.

Edward Manley married Joan Churley in 1742 and had five children that I know of namely

1. Rev Henry Churley   bap 07/03/1743     d 07/02/1819
2. Edward      bap 19/07/1745     d           1780
3. Joan         bap 15/03/1746     d           1812
4. Mary         bap 14/05/1749 bur 09/05/1750
5. Elizabeth      bap 10/06/1755 bur 12/06/1822

Edward Manley's daughter Joan married a Thomas Gore a Surgeon about 1771.
I hope this is of some help to you, let me know if I can be of further help.
Dav

McCormick Glasgow
Docherty Glasgow
Stafford Renfrewshire
Nimmo Glasgow Alloa
Grant Bewickshire
Thomson Glasgow
McKiernan Cavan Glasgow
Shannon Glasgow