Author Topic: 1831/1901 census  (Read 17298 times)

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1831/1901 census
« on: Monday 30 October 06 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Would there be anyone in Co Derry who could look up if there was a David Rosborough in Derryard (near Dungiven) in 1831 census. His daughter Mary Ann who married Alexander Gibson would possibly be on 1901 census(aged c 68),but area unknown - maybe Bovevagh or Dernaflaw. Any help greatly appreciated. Agnetta

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: 1831/1901 census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 July 07 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Agnetta,

There's no Census for 1831. I looked in the extracts of Griffiths Valuation for Derry which are on John Hayes website. The Valuation took place in the county in 1858-9 but David Rosborough is not listed.

Christopher.     

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 July 07 18:13 BST (UK) »
1831 Census for County Londonderry did survive. Sorry Agnetta, I have some of it but not for the area you need.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 July 07 18:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that .... I see both Audrey and Ticker posted a  Link to the 1831 census for Dunboe.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 July 07 18:47 BST (UK) »
1831 only gives head of household, number of males & females & what religion but it is better than nothing.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 July 07 18:50 BST (UK) »
1831 only gives head of household, number of males & females & what religion but it is better than nothing.

I'm lost here. There's a guy on RootsWeb with a CD of the 1831 Census. Funnily enough the query posted to him in March 2003 was from Betsy Harper and was about William Gibson in Carrick/Bovevagh/Drumachose and David Rosborough in Derryard. Those are the families Agnetta is querying but Agnetta's profile doen't give a connection to Betsy.

Do you have that CD, aghadowey? Apparently Betsy also had the CD but had problems getting it to work.

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 July 07 19:13 BST (UK) »
No, Christopher, I do not have a CD. What I have is photocopies of the original pages gotten from Dublin years ago but only for Aghadowey and Agivey Parishes in County Londonderry.

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 July 07 03:14 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey and Christopher - first of all Agnetta and Betsy are one and the same !(I'm old - forgive my lapses,please.I used Agnetta in memory of my mother) 2nd of all - there is a bit of 1831 census for Derry and a little bit of Tyrone,and although it only gives heads of household and number of males and females,that is enough to get on the track to look for people.I spent quite a lot of time in PRONI,in 60's when I was in NI,but at that time wasn't looking for Rosboroughs.Only started doing Harper side(his maternal side) after my husband died in 1996. My David Rosborough and a Margaret Rosborough (wife?,daughter? mother?) are in Derryard on Griffiths 1858/59,but more than that I cannot get.(never did get the cd to go) I have a feeling these Rosboroughs were in Ballymoney/Ballymena area before Derryard/Bovevagh hence my query re 1831 census for any other part of NI. On the other hand - just last week I picked up a bit of info which indicates that this man may have been JOHN DAVID, and just used the David part in every day life (as millions of them did ! Even me - I was christened Elizabeth,but my grandmother -bless her - called me Betsy,and Betsy I've been all my life - except on my passport!) So now you know,and if any of you find a David or John David Rosborough with a daughter Mary Ann(Marianne) b 1834 who m'd Alexander Gibson in Bovevagh on 9-3-  1856 send hin to me . Many thanks to both of you, for your efforts on my behalf. Agnetta/Betsy

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 August 07 20:35 BST (UK) »
Agnetta,
            I have done a  quick look up and found a John Rosborough in the parish of Banagher(next parish to Bovevagh) and a David Roseberry in the townland of Bovevagh in the parish of Bovevagh in the 1831 census of Londonderry. Spelling in those days was as the enumerator heard the name. There is also an 1831 census for some townlands in the county of Cavan. Hope this helps.
Regards
Morrison Stewart
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim