Author Topic: 1851 census, missing parents....  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Thornandrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1851 census, missing parents....
« on: Friday 12 November 04 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello! been up for hours thinking about this and was wondering if someone could find for me a William Howes in the 1851 census, we believe he got married in 1866 to a French woman called Harriet but are unsure. They were absent from the 1881 census, and by then had an eight year old daughter living with her grandparents.

I guess they died, but i would like to know who he was living with in 1851, William Howes's parents were Caroline and William Howes, any help on the missing parent would be very helpful thank you.
Vagason and Howes family, also Howlett. in and around Suffolk and Norfolk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census, missing parents....
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 November 04 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Just a suggestion, but if you give the full 1881 transcript for the grandparents, then a searcher would also know William and Caroline's ages and occupations, and which part of Norfolk it would be best to start looking.

You could also give an age guide to the William who married in 1866, and where that marriage took place.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Thornandrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 November 04 19:28 GMT (UK) »
You could also give an age guide to the William who married in 1866, and where that marriage took place.
The mariage took place in Cambridge(shire?) and William's father also called William was 59 in 1881 so that would make him 22 in the 1851 i think. he is the head of the family, if he cannot be found on the 1851 then perhaps 61?  please please help

Offline mrs noah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 November 04 22:21 GMT (UK) »
This probably wont help you,  but i have many instances of missing parents in my Family. The reason here is that they were down the 'cut' and had left their children behind with relations. sometimes grandparents sometimes friends. I never assumed that they were dead just because they left a child behind!

Remember that many years ago the Grandparents or Aunties and Uncles were as much the  childs 'parent' as the true parent. It was not unusual for a child to be with
someone other than its parent on Census night!

Mrs Noah
On the canals...Turton, Wood, Mann,Cartwright, Neale, Grainger, Littlemore, Taylor. etc
Black country ancestors.... Beesley, Tranter, Fellows Barker, Perry, Evans, Glover.
also researching Birtwisle and Darby.

Offline Thornandrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 November 04 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I guess but i cant find the parents in the census, at all, so i think that perhaps the mother died in childbirth... because the father's name was William (and there are hundreds of William Howes's) I don't know. If i could find the right William Howes in the 1851 census then i would get his DOB then i could narrow down my search in the 1881 census. See where im going? Anyways i still need info on the 1851 census. William Howes, father William Howes mother Caroline Howes. Norfolk area. someone help!

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 November 04 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I am Confused here Jasmine I thought we went through all these census entries  ???
I followed them through 4 u

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=19075.msg70625#msg70625

I dont understand y u r asking again..... The people I found r certainly Carolines grandparents  ??? William is not with them...There is no younger William anywhere on the 51 census for Norfolk born Saham Toney should he be elsewhere..... There r only 2 Williams not listed as son one is with grandparents but mother Mary is there... the other is in a workhouse aged 8 b Felthorpe but as he has a 13 year old brother doesnt seem right either(William and Caroline too young)....I really dont know what anybody can do....William and Caroline have been found and son William is not with them....To get more information on this man I think u will have to start buying certificates  or perhaps older in the 61 census at the LDS library and hope he is with his parents.

Kris
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thornandrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 November 04 14:51 GMT (UK) »
im asking because you didnt mention William (the son of william and caroline) in the 1851 census. I wanted to find him, and find out where he was, he must be somewhere he had a daughter years later!

I think i'll give up on census's for this and get the marriage certificate. thanks anyway

Jaz

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 November 04 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In 1861 we see William, 39, Caroline, 37, George, 12, Harriet, 9, John, 6, Maria, 4 & Martha, 1 living next door to William, 65, Judith, 61, Judith Barnard, widowed dau, 31, Alfred Barnard, 6 & Elizabeth Barnard, 4.

All in Saham Toney but still no William Howes.

You will have to go back to basics, check for his baptism in the Parish Registers, check for William & Caroline's marriage.  Was William born before marriage and is he still living in Ashill with Caroline's parents?

Do we know her maiden name?

Keep plugging on.

Best of luck

Teddybear.
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline Thornandrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 November 04 22:25 GMT (UK) »
thank you xxx