Author Topic: Were your family in British India? please read  (Read 31419 times)

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Were your family in British India? please read
« on: Friday 03 November 06 18:38 GMT (UK) »
PLEASE ACCEPT MY APPOLOGIES IF I HAVE NOT REPLIED. THE FAMILY HAVE HAD A FEW TRAUMATIC EVENT RECENTLY WHICH HAVE MEANT I HAVE NOT BEEN  ABLE TO CONCENTRATE ON RESEARCH. I SHALL HOWEVER HONOUR MY OFFER OF HELP, THOUGH I DO HAVE QUITE A BACK LOG. BEST WISHES, GEM  8TH MARCH 07

16th MARCH ;- GREAT SUCESS AT THE LIBRARY WITH SOME PEOPLES REQUESTS, I SHALL SEND DIRECT MESSAGES. I am back at The libary on Monday till Friday of next week ( Hubby has just retired from the army after 23 years .... now it's my time to abandon him for a bit !). I will check for new requests each day, but will get back to EVERYONE who has posted a request by Sunday of next week, Gem xx
Hi

My main passion is that of the British soldiers and their families in India.

I have lists of hundreds of name for birth/ marriage/ deaths ect in my collection.

I also have many books relating to india, including some cemetery books.

If you would like me to do a quick search for you please do not hessitate to contact me, you never know.... I may have some of your missing ancestors.

Best wishes

Gem

Please be aware that it make take upto 5 days for a reply as I lead quite a hectic life !
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline Myfi!

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • flora
    • View Profile
Re: Were your family in British India? please read
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 November 06 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gem

What a generous offer  ;D

Can I interrupt your hectic life and ask if you have anything for the 1920s and 1930s?

I am struggling to find the deaths of William and Harriet LANE  As far as I can ascertain, William b.1866 (who was in the Wiltshire Regiment) was posted back to Britain prior to WW1 but returned to live in India c.1920 after his demob.

regards

Myfi

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
BERRY-Wexford, Ireland>England
BERNEY- Tullowbeg, Co. Carlow
MUSTY- Oxfordshire>Wiltshire>India
PUFFITT-Filkins,Oxfordshire
HARNESS- EastRiding,Yorks. & Lincolnshire
LANE- India
STOLLERY-Suffolk
HERCLIFF -East Riding, Yorks

RIP 2012

ABBAY/ABBEY Yorkshire to St.Petersburg Russia

Offline pompeyboy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 November 06 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gem...does that offer extend to Burma?

Regards

Steve :)
massey
clutterbuck
foster
searley
Hansler
Belcher

Census Information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 06 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve and Myfi

Yes I do have info on Burma .... Including a great picture of my Grandad coming out of the jungle after being stranded there for weeks !
Have you got a name to go on ?

Myfi,  I shall check all of my records for the two people you are looking for. Failing that I shall be at the India Office at the end of the month. I shall look for the death records, and burial records for them if I do not have them in my collection.

Gem
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline pompeyboy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 November 06 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gem...I'm looking for Edward and Amelia Massey who were definately in Rangoon between 1898 - early 1901,i've got two children of theirs born in 1898 and 1900(Rangoon),unfortunately the only info i have for Edward was he was in the RA.
I can't find a marriage for them in this country and wondered if they were married in Rangoon,alas i don't know Amelia's maiden name.

Many thanks

Steve :-\
massey
clutterbuck
foster
searley
Hansler
Belcher

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 November 06 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Just so that you know .... here are a few of the surname 's I have info on;-

ALLISON , AVIETMALL, AARON , ANGELES , ALDRIDGE, ASHWORTH , ALFORD , AUSTIN , ADAMS , ANDERSON , ALDER , BUCKLEY , BURTON , BELL , BAKER , BARRACLOUGH , BYRNE , BOUTFLOWER, BERKELEY, BLISSETT , BREWSTER , BOND, BRADY , BRITTON, BASTIN , BEVAN , BLOODWORTH , BEVERLEY , BURGESS . BALLANTINE , CHADLUM , COLE , CAMPBELL , CLIFFE , CLOWES , COOPER , CHARLESWORTH , CLUTTERBUCK , CORNISH , COLEMAN , CHRISTIE , CLOUSTON , CONNOR , D'CRUZE , DULTON, DAW , DUNCAN , DEMONTO, DYTON, DENNIS, DAVID, DAUNCEY, DUFFIN, DONLEA, DOBSON, DAWN, DOUGLAS, DRIVER, ETHERIDGE, EVANS, EARLE, EDGAR, EDWARDS, FREDDERICKS, FLEURY, FLECK, FAWDRY, FERNANDEZ, FOSTER, FARMER, FARCET, FRANCIS, FISCHER, FAIRBAIRN, FORRESTER, FITZGERALD, FLOWERS, FLOREY, GALASHAM, GWYTHER, GRIGG, GRANT, GOMES, GODFREE, GOLMOUR, GOVAN, GRAHAM, GILCHRIST, GOWAN, GRAHAM, GREGORY, GARDNER, HENDERSON, HACKET, HEALY, HESELTINE, HANCOCK, HODGE, HARDY, HARRIS, HOOPER, HILL, HOGAN, HAMILTON, HUGHES, HOPKINS, HIBBERT, HUTTON, HALES, HALLIDAY, IREWIN , JOHNSTONE, JOHNSTON, JOHNSON, JONES, JACKSON, JACQUET, JACOBS, JACK, JEFFERIES, KENYON, KELLY,

Offline pompeyboy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 November 06 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Strewth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve :o :o
massey
clutterbuck
foster
searley
Hansler
Belcher

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 November 06 19:58 GMT (UK) »
hi Steve

Was Edward in the Royal Horse Artillery or Just the Royal Artillery ??. I have some documents for my RA ancestors and they are at the India Office. I'm just going to check my Times archives as there may be a marriage announcement for Ed and Amelia, back in a minute.
Gem

Offline pompeyboy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 November 06 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Don' know..all i have from the overseas births was the initials RA....bit of a bummer init  ???
massey
clutterbuck
foster
searley
Hansler
Belcher