Author Topic: Were your family in British India? please read  (Read 31414 times)

Offline renoqueen6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Were your family in British India? please read
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 20 January 07 17:21 GMT (UK) »
I have a Duncan James Lamond married to Harriet Jane ?, parents of Duncan James Lamond2.
I HAVE Duncan Sr. military records, I am searching information on the family in the area of Ootacamund.
Duncan Sr. retired from the 72nd Highland Reg't (later 78th) to the "Madras Insane Asylum". He was about 56 years old at that time, Harriet (according to family lore) was a nursing sister there. There is a possibility that Duncan Sr. obtained employment there on his retirement from military service. I have the birth registration for Duncan Jr. He married Dorothy Ross of Delhi (an angloindian woman) and had three sons. Two immigrated to Ontario,Canada, one to North Carolina, USA.

Offline marine

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gem,
         Could you check on a John Butterfield he was in the 2nd Batt South Lancashire Regiment he died in India on  1898 at a place called Jubblapore which is in Central India
                  hope this helps thanks
                                      Jim

Offline Gravy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 24 February 07 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gem,

I wonder if you could try to find something on my Gt Grandfather ' Pvt Willie Sweetzer ' who was with the 2nd Battalion The Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire) Regiment.   I believe he left for India late 1884 and returned mid 1891.  Some actual dates would be absolutely brilliant.

Many thanks in advance
Gravy
Vockins, Camplin, Williams, Woolhouse, Hardinges, Ayres, Sweetzer, Docherty, Randall, Strudwick, Sainsbury, Noble, Millar, McNamara, Maskell, Hitchman, Harridance, Hale, Griffin, Friel, Fortune, Burt, Amory

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 24 February 07 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gem

I'm clutching at straws here, but wondering if your information was strictly Army personnel and their families or if it s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-s a wee bit to cover other Brits in India too??

I have 3 brothers who at various census just disappear, but when (I have found them their various occupations seem to be clerk/buyer for the East India Co.

I have one daughter in the 81 & 91 census whose birthplace is listed as "Overseas, British, India".  The ages given are 11 & 21, so we could assume she was born c.1870.
She is Mary Wilson, and her parents were Thomas & Mary.

Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Bren.

Offline Hello There

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Gem :)
Wow,this is very kind of you !!!!
My family ........
Augustine Ansboro Married Julia Henry about 1875ish,They had children..
Philomena b Kamptee 1878
agnes b Lucknow 1882
Florence b Nowshera 1884........(my grandmother)..Married Arthur J Judge 1906
Benedict b Rawalpindi 1887
Bernard b Aden 1889
Cecil b Jubbulpore 1891
2nd marriage to Minna Collins 1895... Now a Police Sergeant in Jubbulpore
All related to the army,or married army people
I am now at such a high brick wall.........i cannot get over and i am now at a Block ! :'(
Any info at all you may have on this family,will be most welcome
Again thankyou
Jacky xx :)

Offline Daisyroot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 08 March 07 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gem,Thank you for your kind offer.
Would it be possible for you to have a look to see if you have anything on Walter Haswell Sugden and family?He married Abigail Mary Anne(ie) Ogston whilst he was out there and i believe they had a daughter-Daisy Violet- who was born in Lucknow1889.I have been unable to find out anything much about him after that.He was in the 17th Lancers.. Thank You in anticipation...Flo' :)
All census information is Crown Copyright and from  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/<br /><br />

Offline Simplex4wd

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 09 March 07 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Gem, a very generous offer, I really clutching at straws here but do you have any trace of Herbert (Bertie) Edgar Falls born about 1880 or his father William Thomas Barlow Falls born c 1855. I know Bertie ended up in Singapore but I'm not certain where in the Empire he started.
Many Thanks

Tim

Offline supermumsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 10 March 07 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gem
This is very kind of you!
I hope you are still doing look ups.
I am trying to trace my husbands father. I understand he was born in Burma and was in the forces. He died when my husband was small and I only have a marriage certificate to go on.
His name was Victor George Smith and in 1958 he gives his age as 43 years. The certificate gives his father as George Smith (deceased) occupation head shipping clerk.

Many Thanks

Offline watha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 16 March 07 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gem, Thank you for your offer. I have been trying to trace details of my ancestor Harriet Sophia Williams, father said to be Captain in Army in 1830's, mothers maiden name O'Day. Harriet borne about 1839 in India. Both parents died in China about 1850. Harriet and sister went to uncle in California and then on to Australian goldfields, died 1937 in Melbourne. Rumours in family that there were two brothers at school in UK when parents died and I am trying to confirm and trace. Fruitless search of British Army records at Chelsea Library lead me to believe that father was in an Indian regiment before British Army took control and that regiment sent to China about 1848/49. Any help appreciated. Watha