Author Topic: Victoria Inquest Index Lookup  (Read 2472 times)

Offline ajcarroll

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Victoria Inquest Index Lookup
« on: Friday 10 November 06 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me by looking up the following? I have found the death of my gggg-grandfather and on the certificate it states that he died of an accidental drowning - verdict of jury. He died on the 25th of December 1862 at Longernong Station VIC. His name was Donald Mctavish, he was a shepherd and 49 when he died. The death was registered in Horsham VIC.

Any help would be most appreciated

Cheers

Andrea
Casey, Carroll, Harrison, Standing, Renfrew, Greenhill, McTavish, Crow, Agnew, Merrion, Needs, Goddard, Matthews, Buffham, Falloon, Mills, Chamberlain, Donoghue,

Offline sidsmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Still Searching
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Inquest Index Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 06 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea
Donald Mctavish was:-  Found Dead Wimmera River age 49 1862, Place -  Horsham Ref No 1075
Thats all that is on the Inquest Index

Regards
Sid Smith
SMITH.. Cellardyke, Fife, Scotland
GERRARD ..Pittenweem, St Monance, Fife
DEWAR..Kikcaldy.. Fife
CRICHTON...Fife
GRUBB .. Crail, Fife
HAMILTON .. St Andrews and St Leonards, Fife
BALFOUR, Ferry Port on Craig, Fife
WATT ..  Cellardyke
PROUDFOOT & CRAWFORD.. Torryburn Fife
EISEN   PHILLIPS, WISEMAN ..Sth Australia
CRICHTON Victoria,Aust.
WISEMAN..Barrow, Suffolk
VANT.. Yorkshire & Kent

Offline ajcarroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 06 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Excellent - thank you Sid.

;D

Andrea
Casey, Carroll, Harrison, Standing, Renfrew, Greenhill, McTavish, Crow, Agnew, Merrion, Needs, Goddard, Matthews, Buffham, Falloon, Mills, Chamberlain, Donoghue,

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 06 23:54 GMT (UK) »
If your friend can go for you, the inquest can be ordered on line ahead of time so there is no waiting.  Else it would have to wait until the next delivery time after it is ordered - there are about 4 deliveries from storage during the day.  This isn't a problem if your friend has plenty of other things to do at the same time.   

One is allowed to take digital photographs of the inquests, but official permission has to be gained for each file.  One looks at the file,  if you want the whole lot copied you only need to count the pages.  Photocopies are not done on the spot unless a hefty surcharge is paid, also an extra fee for next day service.  Normal time is several weeks and they are put in the post or a pickup date is arranged. 

http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/PROVguides/PROVguide008/PROVguide008.jsp

The PROV reading rooms are located at the North Melbourne site now, plenty of parking.  They are also open two Saturdays a month.

cheers
Christine

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ajcarroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 06 00:00 GMT (UK) »
thank you Christine. I will get onto that now and see how I go!

Thanks for all the info.

Cheers

Andrea  :D