Author Topic: Marriage Certificate. Completed.  (Read 1598 times)

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Marriage Certificate. Completed.
« on: Saturday 11 November 06 07:54 GMT (UK) »
The Archivist gave this info from the original indistinct image.

St George Hanover Square
Marriages Vol. 27
7th October 1833

Richard Cullen and Harriet Shalders both of this parish were married in this church by banns this seventh day of October in the year 1933 by me (name of minister) This marriage was solemnised between us (signatures of the couple) In the presence of (names of witnesses: John Lyons and Caroline Exton(?)

Is it possible to find out, in any way, if Richard was a bachelor at the time of this marriage. He was about 35 at the time.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 06 10:19 GMT (UK) »
I have the Harleian Society's transcription of StGHsq Marriges 1725-1837, and yours is recorded, but only the names ! Your transcript is thus a better version ....

Many marriages can be seen to state Bachelor (of this Parish), or W (Widow(er) and even details like 'Minor, with express permission of her father xxxxx etc' - for the most part the marriages here were by Banns, but Licences are shown in some cases (Faculty, Cantabury or London (Arch)Bishops ...)

I wonder if its worth approaching either your 'Archivist' and/or the Harleian Soc to see if any more detail is available ?

The Honorable Secretary
The Harleian Society
College of Arms
Queen Victoria Street
London
EC4V 4BT
Tel. +44 (0)207 236 7728
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 06 10:27 GMT (UK) »
PS. If Richard was married before, there is an 1820, May 9th marriage to an ANN WILSON.

Again no detail in this transcription as to 'condition', residence or witnesses  .... whereas marraiges on even the previous day do have that sort of detail ... I guess either the image was poor, or just not filled in ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 06 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much ScRoppers. I am really trying to find the birth of my gggrandfather, Richard Cullen. I have posted a message on the Kent site. Birth in Deal Kent about 1898.
I recently found a marriage at Walmer in 1814. It just occured to me that if he was a bachelor in 1833, it was not him.
I will ring the Harleian Society and try to look at the 1820 Marriage.

When I recieved the 1833 image it was impossible for me to read.  I rang up about it, they said they would get an archivist to look at it. I can't actually remember how I obtained it!!! I know I found it on Pallot's marriage index.

RBC