Author Topic: RYLE Ltd - Swalwell/Whickham, Whitley Bay & Hexham  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Sio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
RYLE Ltd - Swalwell/Whickham, Whitley Bay & Hexham
« on: Monday 13 November 06 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am interested in collecting memories of customers/staff/anyone connected to Ryle Ltd of Whitley Bay. It was a family business founded  by my great-grandmother, Sarah Isabella Ryle (née Jackson), originally in Swalwell/Whickham, Co. Durham and then Whitley Bay, with another branch in Hexham during the World War 2. It was continued by her children until the 1950s .

I would like to hear of any stories to do with the department store, which from what I gather was very elegant and stylish. Its bridal salon and tea room must have provided a few stories too! I would be thrilled if anyone had any photos aswell, as very few have survived.

Also any of the same for her daughter Annie Ryle's separate store in Whitley Bay.

Thanks,

Siobhán Ryle
Durham/N'land: RYLE, JACKSON, ROBSON, BAGNALL, HARROWER, HOOD, SPENCER, COLLEY, RAEY, ROSEBURGH, MORTON, BACKLEY, BROWELL, BEWICK, BURT, CARR, CLAYTON, DAVISON, DUNN, HOME, GIBBS, GODFREY, HALL, HOWDON, JOHNSON, JOY, LEE,  LONGSTAFF, MARSHALL, NEWTON, PRUDHOE, RAMSAY, SCAIFE, SIBBALD, SOUTHALL, STOKER, TIPLADY/TIPLADIE
Glasgow/Ayr:  TAYLOR, GILLESPIE, CAMERON, LANG, DUNLOP, WILTON, MACKAY
Edinburgh: NAPLES
Fife: EASTON, TAYLOR
Co. Carlow/ Kilkenny (IRL) GAHAN
Co. Cork (IRL) COTTER, O'KEEFFE

Offline PaulineE

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RYLE Ltd - Swalwell/Whickham, Whitley Bay & Hexham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 16 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

My aunt, Mona Robson, worked in Ryles in the 1950s and you're right, it was very fashionable.  I did go in as a child with my mother, although I don't really remember very much about it.  My mother and my aunt used to get mistaken for each other as they looked alike and both had white hair.  Mona's daughter,  is still around and may be able to tell you more about it.  If it's the right person, according to 192.com her address is Details removed

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.