Author Topic: Treacle Delph, Golcar  (Read 11784 times)

Offline HH

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Treacle Delph, Golcar
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 September 09 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hello pH,
This is the wrong thread for Hines in Devon but I'm delighted to hear from you. Please email me on heather @hine.me.uk to share the info on Mark Hine. He is the brother of my husband's g.grandfather, Edwin. I suspected he had emigrated and would like to know more,
Regards,
HH
Hine, Algar, Dyble, Kettle- Devon
Kingett, Bishop, Elt, Jenkins, Wheeler- Worcs.
Crabb, Carder, Levens- Surrey
Senior, Shaw, Schofield, Randerson, Crowther, Whitwam, Walker, Stott, Dawson, Sykes, Blackburn, Leech- W.Yorks.
Baldry, Cole, Borrett, Brabbon, Eastaugh- Suffolk
Evans, Jones, Davies, Rees- Llandilo
Nye, Beer- Kent
Sippitt, Clark- Essex
Longmuir, Wishart, Kennedy, Cumming, Ronaldson, Crocket, Hood- Scotland
Mather- Northumberland

Offline snwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Still wondering about Treacle Delph?  It is a joke.  My mother refered to treacle as gooey substance, sometimes sweet.  Delph is a quarry.  Sooo...  Golcar is site of my families- Ainleys, Whitwam, Wood, Bowen
Sproat, Cowan, Lamb, Sather, Bell, Clemow, Wood, Bowen, Ainley, Lamb

Offline HH

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 09:34 GMT (UK) »
I love the humour!
Thank you for your interest- there are lots of Whitwams and an Ainley or two in our tree. The Golcar/Huddersfield community seems to have been very close, with lots of inter-marriage. You can see from my profile the other Yorkshire names I'm interested in. I have had quite a lot of info from Steve Whitwam but there are still a few mysteries.
I must post something on this site- haven't done so for a long time but all sorts of things pop up, even years after a posting. (See the earlier parts of this thread) And now I've got the 1911!
Now, where shall I start...?
Best wishes,
HH

Senior, Shaw, Schofield, Randerson, Crowther, Whitwam, Walker, Stott, Dawson, Sykes, Blackburn, Leech- W.Yorks.
Nye, Beer- Kent
Sippitt, Clark- Essex
Mather- Northumberland

Offline fringe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 06 November 14 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to this site but came across the query for Treacle Delph when searching for something else.  I am originally from Golcar, having lived at Clay Well and Ley Moor Road.  My Mother's side of the family have lived in the area as far back as I can trace.  As some of my great aunts and uncles could only spoke in dialect I am well aware that the spelling and pronunciation of many places in Golcar are not what always what they might seem.  Sadly an awful lot of the local place names have long since disappeared through changes in both political and Church boundaries.  Whilst others have been subsumed through later developments using different names for the same area, the area by the Walker's Arms pub in, what is now known as Parkwood, used to be known as Ley Moor Gate.  So, Treacle Delph or, as it was pronounced, Trayckle Delf.  Where was it?  To my recollection a chap called Oliver Haigh lived there and it was a cluster of houses across the road from Scape Goat Hill Baptist Chapel burial grounds on the south side of Taylor Lane, and to the east of the top of Th'owd Loyn (Old Lane).  Whilst I believe Dunkirk was the smallholding further down Old Lane.  Taylor Lane did not originally go much further down towards Pike Law than the Old Band Room - reference: "Map of the Inclosure Act of Golcar, 1823".  So most foot traffic of the time cut down Th'owd Loyn to Swallow Lane, in fact, all the properties that can currently be seen on Taylor Lane on Google Earth to the east of the Band Room have been built within my lifetime.  I realise that memories are fallible and that I may have got the location wrong, but I hope to clarify it with one of my relatives in the next month or so.  I'll re-post when I find out.
Regards,
fringe
Haigh & Shaw - Colne Valley; Wilde - Calder & Colne Valley; Teal - Oldham & Huddersfield

Offline HH

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 November 14 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I love this site for the replies that appear years after postings- it keep the momentum going. Thank you for the great detail you describe. This area is where some of my husband's family lived and I don't know it myself. He lived in Milnesbridge only until he was three so remembers very little but what he does remember was borne out by a visit there this summer! I would be delighted to read any further discoveries you make so do keep me posted. Our last family contact in Golcar, (a Shaw by marriage), died several years ago so we have to rely on public records now but Scape Goat Hill features frequently in census addresses and I think the family was non-conformist by and large, many of whom are buried where you describe.
Many thanks for the message and please keep up the research.
Regards,
HH
Nye, Beer- Kent
Sippitt, Clark- Essex
Mather- Northumberland

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 November 14 02:30 GMT (UK) »
 Treacle Delph Well spring -find -Scar lea - Lower Old lane - Scapegoat hill
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline snwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 December 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
This is Stephen Wood and I am still interested I my relatives around Scape Goat and Bradley.   Just wanted to recontact. Names are Sproat Bowen Wood Ainley.  Family had Pawn shops and one family , one family involved in the trade of shoddy then had a cloth mill, one was a  Registry Clerk.
Sproat, Cowan, Lamb, Sather, Bell, Clemow, Wood, Bowen, Ainley, Lamb

Offline fringe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 March 17 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Finally!  Treacle Delph were the properties that used to be on the south west side of Upper Grand Stand.  I don't know when the original properties were demolished - they don't appear on the 1888-1913 Ordnance Survey map, but then neither does Parkin Square which most certainly was around at that time (and still there now).  I don't recall any habitable properties on that land in the late 1950's, just rubble, weeds, a few sheds and some hen runs.  Whether the rubble was what was left over from demolished properties or the last workings of some delving I couldn't say.  It was just an overgrown depression in the land.   Reference my earlier post about Oliver Haigh living there, it turns out I was wrong, he actually lived on High Street.  The name Treacle Delph has been retained in a (relatively) new build detached property whose Post Office address is number 15 Grand Stand.  But on Council Tax records is shown as 'Treacle Delph', 15 Grand Stand.

So there you have it!

Regards,
fringe
Haigh & Shaw - Colne Valley; Wilde - Calder & Colne Valley; Teal - Oldham & Huddersfield

Offline HH

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 June 18 14:27 BST (UK) »
Just shows, you can't hurry genealogical research. As someone once said to me, 'No point in hurrying, they'll still be dead!'  ;D
Great to keep the thread going on this brilliant site. Thank you. HH
Nye, Beer- Kent
Sippitt, Clark- Essex
Mather- Northumberland