Author Topic: Kilmun Burials - Help  (Read 30725 times)

Offline Islander01

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilmun Burials - Help
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 07:28 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the graves of my great grandmother - KERR, Charlotte Campbell nee Grandison  (death registered in Dunoon on 7th November, 1932 and my great Aunt - KERR, Anne Victoria Colquhoun (death registered in Dunoon on 16th July, 1982)

My great Aunt (and her 2 sisters Elanor and Charlotte - all retired school teachers) lived in a house called "Ferngrove" in KILMUN for their retirement, and as their deaths were registered in Dunoon, I have to believe they are buried in Kilmun or close to it.

I am leaving Australia in 2 weeks to travel to Kilmun to see if I can find their gravesites - to date I have tried the Argyll Bute Council, they don't have cemetery records, and my system is having problems downloading anything from ScotlandsPeople.  Has anyone any advice on how I can find out for me - really would be appreciated.

Surfbeach

Hi Liz/Surfbeach

While updating our files on Grandison in our family tree we came across your messages on Rootschat.com.  A female Maxwell Campbell Grandison is in our line, born Barony (Glasgow) in 1850. We have the following information for you.

FamilySearch (http://histfam.familysearch.org/getperson.php?personID=I97484&tree=Fasti) has an entry for Penelope Charlotte Campbell Grandison
Died     7 Oct 1932
Father     James Grandison,   
Mother     Ellena Reid, 
Family     Rev. Duncan Colquhoun Kerr,   b. 6 Jan 1857,   d. 17 Jan 1908
Married     15 Feb 1883
Children     
    1. James Kerr,   b. 27 May 1884, 
    2. Norah Kerr,   b. 28 Jul 1886, 
    3. Robert Kerr,   b. 25 Jul 1888, 
    4. Charlotte Kerr,   b. 6 Jun 1891, 
    5. Anna Victoria Kerr,   b. 4 Dec 1897, 
    6. Cecil Grandison Kerr,   b. 8 Aug 1899   

The Necropolis in Glasgow has a gravestone for Grandison listing
 - James Grandison, boot tree and last maker, on Sept 3rd 1910 age 69 years.
 -  Eleanora Reid, wife of J.G., on Nov 19th 1893 age 53 yrs
 -  Penelope Charlotte Campbell, daughter of above, who died at Dunoon on Oct 7th 1932 age 71 years.
(see http://glasgowancestry.blogspot.ca/2009/02/grandison-ancestry-glasgow-scotland.html)

Hope this helps

Islander01

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom
I think some have been but the top of the old cemetery has barriers across to stop people from going up there it's the bit that's on the slope 

Sybil
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Islander,

Surfbeach is touring the UK doing family research, and is due to arrive in Dunoon either this week or next I have not heard from her since 24th of May but she is giving me a call when she arrives here, it depends on if she can get wifi signal,
But I will make sure she knows about your post,

Sybil
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline cathy52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 17 July 14 14:54 BST (UK) »
hi i am trying to find out if anyone else is buried with my dads cousin he is buried in kilmun cemetery he is john kelly i have his lair number who would be the correct person to contact. regards catherine kelly ???

Offline Daddylonglegs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 17 July 14 19:55 BST (UK) »
Catherine

The only one buried in Kilmun is the following:

8.8 JOHN KELLY Postman born at Glen Striven in the parish of Inverchiolin 21st February 1880 died 4th September 1904 also his father SAMUEL KELLY died 29th April 1908 aged 60 years A few short hours of rain he bore, we little thought death was at our door, It was Gods will, it should be so.  By his command we all must go.  Also his mother JANET SMITH died 13th Jan 1941 aged 92 years also his sister CHRISTINE SHANKS KELLY died 24th Nov 1952 aged 78 years Erected by a few friends in the district

Hope that helps.  Argyll Mausoleum is trying to gather information on people in the graveyard if you are interested in adding to it if this is your family.
Working on Kilmun gravestones, houses and families for the Argyll Mauloeum project.  Personally Thomson family of Montrose and Campbeltown and the Hyslop family of Montrose.

Offline Daddylonglegs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 17 July 14 19:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry I didn't sign it Jean Maskell
Working on Kilmun gravestones, houses and families for the Argyll Mauloeum project.  Personally Thomson family of Montrose and Campbeltown and the Hyslop family of Montrose.

Offline cathy52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 19 July 14 21:09 BST (UK) »
hi jean, i found out what i was looking for, thanks for your reply. :)