Author Topic: Can we help - looking for Homer Family  (Read 4555 times)

Offline suegill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Can we help - looking for Homer Family
« on: Thursday 16 November 06 13:41 GMT (UK) »
From the Dorset Echo

Search for family of wartime pilot
By Andy Davey
A WAR memorial preservation group is searching for the relatives of a Purbeck pilot who was killed in the Battle of Britain.
Flying officer Michael Homer DFC, of 242 Squadron, which was led by flying ace Douglas Bader, was just 21 when he was shot down by a German fighter plane over Sittingbourne, in Kent, in 1940.
His badly damaged Hurricane, which was based with the rest of the squadron in Duxford, crashed into the garden of a small cottage in the village of Milstead on September 27.
FO Homer's remains were taken from the wreck and buried in Godlingston Cemetery, in Swanage, and his family planted a tree and mounted a plaque in his memory at the crash site.
After 60 years the memorial has deteriorated and now the War Memorial Trust is searching for FO Homer's relatives to seek their permission to restore the monument.
Volunteer John Rowe said: "Before we can do anything we need to speak to the family because the plaque is owned by them.
"Now we are trying to establish whether there is any family we can consult with because we need their authority.
"If there is no family we can go back to Milstead Parish Council and do something about it.
"This is an important historical monument, which was very important to the family at one point and we want to do everything we can to preserve it."
Mr Rowe told how his records show FO Homer's parent were called George and Millicent Homer.
If anyone has any information they can contact Mr Rowe on 01795 421446 or write to him at 46 Crossways, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME10 4RJ or e-mail him on w.rowe1[at]btinternet.com.
FO Homer's brother, Group Capt John Homer, has a memorial stone in Godlingston Cemetery.
He was killed in an air accident in 1944 and was buried in Karachi.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Alker - Aspull, Hindley
Marsh - Atherton
Blain - Atherton
Gill - Atherton
Hogg - Loscoe, Crich
Harrison - Heanor, Ruddington
Earnshaw - Heanor
Cope - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley
Daykin - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Re: Can we help - looking for Homer Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 06 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Michael Giles Homer was the son of George James Wood Homer and Millicent Homer who were from Swanage at the time of his death

His brother John Wood Homer was married to Susan Mabel Christian Homer and living in Haslemere, Surrey in 1944.

Wendi :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline parsonssw1v

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 17:00 BST (UK) »
My Name is Toby Parsons. Michael Homer was my Great Aunt's son. Milicent Homer was bourne Milicent Jacob, Mary Jacob her sister married my Grandfather Albert George Parsons. I believe that my twin brother and I are the closest surviving relatives. Is there anything that we can do for the memorial in Sittingbourne?

Offline oligerrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 15 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, Millicent Homer was my Great Grandfather's first cousin - he was William Dickins Heywood, son of Harvey Heywood and Harriette (nee Jacob). His Uncle was William Heaton Jacob, who was left a few family portraits and paintings of Chale - the Jacob house on the Isle of Wight. I have been in touch with Alan Ramsay in Australia too. I would be so fascinated to see the portraits of my Jacob side.

With best wishes

Oliver Gerrish

Offline oligerrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Heaton-Jacob family
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Toby

I am a cousin of yours. My grandmother's great uncle was William Heaton Jacob, who was Millicent's father.  I am trying to do some research on the Jacob side of the family. I was with Jane de Montigny (nee Fletcher) the other week - she is a granddaughter of Millicent Jacob. I would be fascinated to hear from you.

With best wishes

Oliver

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 21:01 BST (UK) »
I know that this topic is nearly 12 years old, but below is a link which shows a picture of the memorial tablet.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/30097

Another piece of information about him, showing photos of him.  Only 21 when he was killed.

http://www.bbm.org.uk/airmen/Homer.htm
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire