Author Topic: John Henry Baker; b Chelsea  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Jeremy Pyne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John Henry Baker; b Chelsea
« on: Sunday 14 November 04 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Looking for help with census entries to confirm a theory. Looking for a John Henry Baker in the 1901 census shown as b 1841, Chelsea. At that point he had married a second wife,Rhoda and living in Tottenham. In the 1881 census , there is a John Henry ,shown as b 1839 Chelsea, married to a Matilda, living in Hornsey. In 1901 his profession was Grainer and the 1881 entry is for a house decorator. I am hoping to try and check the 1891 or earlier census entries. An 1851 census for Chelsea would be good as he is likely to be living at home with his father another John Baker (a carpenter). Not the most unusual name I'm afraid

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Henry Baker; b Chelsea
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 04 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeremy
Unfortunately only very little is indexed for 1851/1861 - guess you don't have an address to search?
I have had a look at the index for 1851 but a) he is not there and b) Chelsea is an area not yet indexed.
Cheers Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)
This information is Crown Copywrite. from the www.national archives.go.v.uk.

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: John Henry Baker; b Chelsea
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Looking for help with census entries to confirm a theory. Looking for a John Henry Baker in the 1901 census shown as b 1841, Chelsea. At that point he had married a second wife,Rhoda and living in Tottenham. In the 1881 census , there is a John Henry ,shown as b 1839 Chelsea, married to a Matilda, living in Hornsey. In 1901 his profession was Grainer and the 1881 entry is for a house decorator. I am hoping to try and check the 1891 or earlier census entries. An 1851 census for Chelsea would be good as he is likely to be living at home with his father another John Baker (a carpenter). Not the most unusual name I'm afraid

As Cougar says, BAKER is a common name, and although I have the 1851 census index for Chelsea, it is surname only, and there will dozens of BAKERS listed.  I am quite happy to look these out for you, but it would mean you perhaps hiring the Chelsea film to check the references out.

Let me know if you would like me to do this.

Rick
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk