Author Topic: Mystery lady - Augusta Booth  (Read 11284 times)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery lady - Augusta Booth
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 November 06 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meles

Have you discovered who was living at her marriage address in 1901?
Also the witness' names on the cert - maybe they could help?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 November 06 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Ambly - thanks for those suggestions. Never thought of either. Gosh this site and RCs are so useful!

OK - I confess - I have no idea how to find an address in a census. A  brief tutorial would be welcome!

The witnesses are unknown to me (I wonder if they skipped off and chose stangers?) they are P W Leversham (I think) and Henry Tull. The surnames mean nothing.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 November 06 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I can't see her on U.S. or Canadian censuses or Wales (I haven't got access to the Scottish censuses).

What do you know about this woman after her marriage? Do any other older relatives know anything about her?

Regards

Valda

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 November 06 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Valda - thank you for taking such an active interest.

No, I don't know what happens after 1903. I have no other (live) relatives (Augusta would have been my great aunt) and so I have no family tales about her. I am desperately trying to find one living relative. They all stop at 1901! Aargh!

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 November 06 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meles  ;D

A number of ways - I use them all and have had success

1) Find the address on 1881 which has a street search, and then search those people on 1901 or failing finding them at same address, search the 1881 neighbours - see if they remained at same address for 20 years! I often first pick on a family of mid-age - ie: not to young or old and seemingly settled in a "good occupation" if I can...

2) Google the address : ie: type in : "Johns Street" 1901 Census Harlesdon - you'd be surprised how many people have Census Data on-line of their ancestors who lived at same street yours did at same time! Search for theirs and navigate till you find the page with your address.

3) Do an ADDRESS search here:
http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
at least find out if someone was using that address in 1901. You could also go thru and pays-your-fee to view the entry on that site.

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 November 06 20:51 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rcgp.org.uk/default.aspx?page=93 - a general guide to tracing medical ancestors.

If she's not in the overseas records the other possiblities are Irish and Scottish records.

Harlesdon = Harlesden? There is, if you put in Booth as surname and Harlesden as place on the 1901 census, a Gertrude Booth aged 23 (this is on www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk - on Ancestry she is indexed as 'Borth').  Civil parish is actually Willesden.  Supposedly she is born Chelsea (still can't spot her on the indexes, as Augusta or Gertrude).  She is boarding with a Sarah Bates, aged 56.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 November 06 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Overseas Births. Marriages & Deaths  INDEX sets available via this site  - free:
https://www.familyrelatives.org/treequest/jsp/customer/index.jsp

and with the actual images for these BDM's  - this pages tells you what's available in the "Overseas Births" section
https://www.familyrelatives.org/treequest/jsp/customer/pre_info_overseas_births.htm

It's  free to register (some part of  site do cost to view) and to view images you also have to download a certain viewer also free (unless you already happen to have it). The site can also appear a bit confusing and cumbersome to navigate at times...but on balance, the freely available  content  makes up for it!

You also don't get to see the full content/layout until after you've registered and Logged-in.
Cheers
AMBLY

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 November 06 22:09 GMT (UK) »
What do you know about Henry Brock's background?

Regards

Valda

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 November 06 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Quite a bit. Henry (aka Harry) b. 4.3.1871 Rutland Street, Pimlico, London. Postman. Living at 87 Lupus Street, Pimlico in 1901.

Son of George Brock (tailor) b. Norfolk and Mary Ann b. Norfolk (nee Grimmer).

Can go on....!

meles