Author Topic: Any Mexican and South American resources? - COMPLETED WITH THANKS  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
Any Mexican and South American resources? - COMPLETED WITH THANKS
« on: Tuesday 21 November 06 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate a rellie who may have been in either Mexico or South America in the 1920s.  Does anybody know what resources, if any, are available that might help in the search?

Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Any Mexican and South American resources?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 February 08 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maggie,

Are you looking for rellies who were in Mexico, or South America, for generations or who emigrated to the area in the late 1800s or early 1900s.

Christopher 

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 08 12:15 GMT (UK) »
just saw this in a newsletter this morning - perhaps you can find the book locally or on the internet ?

Finding Your Mexican Ancestors: A Beginner's Guide, by George R. and Peggy Ryskamp, is undoubtedly one of the best new genealogical books published in America in 2007. With the influx of Mexican immigrants to this country, there is a huge demand for assistance in tracing one's Mexican ancestry. George and Peggy Ryscamp are brilliant experts on the subject of Mexican, Caribbean, and Hispanic immigration. This book focuses on Mexican ancestry and reveals national and religious resources more than any other published resource to date. There are resource descriptions, directions, addresses of governmental and religious resources, and many websites that will help you find your family's records.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your interest.
Things have moved on a bit with this particular relative since I posted this question.
I now know, through a great deal of welcome help from Jonnyboy, that my relative left the UK in 1904 and settled initially in Albuqueque, New Mexico.  By 1918 he was in Nevada and by the 1930s he was married and living in New York.  I still have a few gaps to fill - I think he was very footloose and fancy free in the 1920s. But I have been out of the relation-hunt for a few months now due to work and family commitments so I need to refresh my memory as to where I was at with this one.

Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Some of my relatives lived in Mexico (originally from Ohio then to Illinois and then Arizona beforehand and others from Ireland to Mexico) and then some missionaries (from Canada to Brazil). Have been able to get bits and pieces of information on all of them from a variety of places like passenger lists when they went back to U.S. of Canada to visit.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline GreySquirrel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 February 08 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Passenger lists from UK are on www.ancestorsonboard.com if that helps.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 February 08 13:44 GMT (UK) »
This may be outside of the time frame you need, but there is the 1930 Mexico Census here:  http://labs.familysearch.org/  You have to sign up, but it's free.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 February 08 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Another site from familysearch is the FamilySearch Wiki.

It's just finishing it's beta stage and provides all kinds of general information for different countries.

http://familysearchwiki.org/

see, for instance, the Mexico page:
http://familysearchwiki.org/u-s-and-canada/mexico/mexico-wiki

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)