Author Topic: Grove family, Swansea  (Read 10864 times)

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grove family, Swansea
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 November 06 00:38 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a few wills available to download for £3.50 Nat archives, don't know if all are connected.

Will of William Grove of Swansea , Glamorganshire 07 June 1830 PROB 11/1772 

Will of James Thomas Grove, Gentleman of Swansea , Glamorganshire 14 September 1849 PROB 11/2099 

Will of John Grove of Mount Pleasant near Swansea , Glamorganshire 12 October 1847 PROB 11/2063 

Will of William Robert Grove of Swansea , Glamorganshire 30 July 1847 PROB 11/2059 

Will of John Grove, Accountant of Swansea , Glamorganshire 26 April 1855 PROB 11/2210

There is also a service record for William Thomas Grove of Swansea in 1896

http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Sir_William_Robert_Grove

http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Biographies/GroveBio.htm

http://www.answers.com/topic/william-robert-grove
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 November 06 08:22 GMT (UK) »
What can I say? I go off to bed thinking that we have finished for the night and find, on getting up this morning, that you have been working on my behalf. I can't tell you how grateful I am. And also can't think why I haven't been clever enough to do this myself. I have tried google searches on various other members of this and related families but with no comparable results. My friend, whose family this is, will be thrilled. I shall certainly have a look at the wills and download any which I think are relevant.

What an amazing ancestor to have in your tree. I am almost jealous. Very few of mine were rich enough to make a will and at least one was on the wrong side of the dock in the law courts.

Many thanks - again,

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 November 06 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you have found this link:

http://www2.swansea.gov.uk/_info/cambrian/default.asp

This will allow you to search the index to the Cambrian newspaper which was produced in Swansea for much of the 19th century. I think if you provide references to the library service at Swansea they would probably be able to copy items for a fee.

If you had a small number of requests (4 or 5) I could get along sometime and copt them for the microfilm copy charge (used to be 35p a sheet) plus postage.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 November 06 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernard,

Thank you for the link and for the offer. I shall have a look to see what I can find and may well get back to you with a list.

Cheers

Jen

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline greenhithe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 July 12 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hello..My name is Patricia Grove-Hills...and I am married to a direct descendant of John Grove...the Grove family of Swansea.
I came by chance on this web site...as I was just checking on dates ...
The Grove-Hills family still have strong connections with Swansea...
We now live in New Zealand...
I am most curious to know why the interest?

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 July 12 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Patricia and welcome to Rootschat.

As I said in my earlier posts, I was doing some family history research for a friend who's family included these people. As you can see, this was several years ago and my belief is that the friend in question has lost interest in the subject.

I can't remember the ins and outs of her link to the family but could find the details, if you are interested and get back to you.

Jen

Offline greenhithe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 July 12 00:28 BST (UK) »
good of you to reply...yes..we are interested..we have the family tree here..also family portraits etc....papers...in fact most things one would need to know about the family..as my husband was the eldest son of his generation and we have inherited these things..
Pat.

Offline timgrove

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 May 15 09:47 BST (UK) »
I was wondering in your research into the "Grove family of Swansea" if you've ever come across mention of any of them emigrating to the USA? I have a William Grove in my family tree (born about 1755 but not sure where) who was a resident of Annapolis, Maryland, in 1780 when he enlisted in the Continental Army. I've never been able to trace when or wherefrom my family made the move from the UK but I've heard a couple of rumours that they came from Wales. This is intriguing for me as I made my own move from the USA to Swansea back in 1983! Any help or ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

Offline tawe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 June 15 03:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim
I also have Grove Family that went to the US from Swansea.
Tawe.
Flynn . Morgan .  Pugh . Sales. Davies.
Grove . Rees. Morriston Swansea