Author Topic: Birth Details on Death Certificates. Completed.  (Read 2719 times)

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Birth Details on Death Certificates. Completed.
« on: Saturday 16 December 06 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Please could you tell me if Birth details would be on a Death certificate from 31st January 1953. I see on a death certificate of 1978, which gives date and place of birth, that there was a Births and Deaths Registration Act 1953.

RBC

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Details on Death Certificates.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 December 06 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi RBC

I assume we are talking about England and Wales .............. I'm afraid the practice of including birth details only started in 1969.  Prior to that it would just be age :(

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 December 06 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casalquidi

Thanks, you are so quick. Yes it was England and Wales.
I am about to request a Birth cert in the name of George Samuel CULLUM, hoping it was in fact a transcription error for Samuel George Cullen!!  I then wondered if his birth could have been recorded on his Death cert which I could have got.

RBC

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 December 06 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi RBC

I guess it is this family that you are talking about http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,196214.0.html ................... I really wouldn't like to speculate on that one - especially if he may have been born abroad :-\

I would suggest, if you can, enquiring with the local registry office (with details of the birthplace from the 1901 census) and asking them to check if the parents were who you think they should be before they issue the certificate.  That way, they won't charge for checking - unless, of course, it was one of the London districts that are often too busy to check for this kind of thing if you don't have precise details.

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 December 06 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again Casalguidi.

I rang Medway Register Office the other day. They said if I wrote to them with all the details I had, they would check. If the parents were wrong they would refund the £7 I was asked to send.

I can't find him on the 1901 census, that is my problem. There is a Samuel Edward born 1894 he belongs to another family. I have found a Samuel Cullen age 6 in 1901. He was a patient at the Metropolitan Asylum Northern Hospital, his place of birth was given as London, England. I don't know who he belongs to. I have claimed him for the time being!!

As Samuel's parents were married in Brussels I checked the overseas births. No luck there.

Nothing seems to be straightforward with this Cullen family, fortunately other branches of my family are much easier to deal with.

RBC

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 December 06 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi RBC,

Could your Samuel have served in WW1 or joined the services before?  Long shot I know but if you can find his records you should find details of his birth.

Another long shot; does he have a gravestone?  Often dates are recorded on these.

Good luck,

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 December 06 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nanny Jan

I now realize that I don't know anything about Samuel's early life, I can't recall hearing that he had been in the services. He was my father's brother and I only remember him being a Publican. He was married with one daughter. His daughter didn't have children, she and her husband died some time ago, so there is no one to ask. I am just curious to know where was born. As I am stuck with this line, I keep going back and try to fill in gaps.

I have no idea about his possible burial. I have not progressed to gravestone searches yet, perhaps that will come sometime in the future.

RBC

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 December 06 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi RBC,

Have you got Samuel's marriage cert?  That will show the name of his father and perhaps help you to find his birth cert.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 December 06 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Please could you tell me if Birth details would be on a Death certificate from 31st January 1953. I see on a death certificate of 1978, which gives date and place of birth, that there was a Births and Deaths Registration Act 1953.

RBC
RBC

You might find this link helpful more generally about info on certificates
http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble